Square Grinding Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Reaction score
After Purchasing Steves RSII I am trying to get some practice. Can I grind round ground chain to square square grind??? Or will I screw up the wheel.

I will be doing a limited practice run of chains for AS members you pay shipping.

Mark,
Steve here... Square grinding round chisel chain is fine... The grinder dosen't care... Just go slow so you don't heat up the tooth.
When the stone starts to get dirty or black, run the diamonds across the stones til it's clean . Run the diamond dressers from the corner of the stone, and then out . So the corner gets nice and crisp.
Steve

One thing though- you will eat up more tooth if you switch back and forth. If you convert round ground or filed chain to square, leave it square, and vice versa.

Hi Mark, as Steve says, the square grinder is absolutely Beautiful!
Go easy, let the top plate find itself, by using the sideplate adjustment. The corner will always be in the corner, just easy does it, move small amounts of metal, cutter will be sharp and crisp, diamond dress gently, get the feel, it's a piece of cake.
The sideplate is the determining factor, all else falls in line. Ken Dunn has the knack, but no two individuals will grind or file the same way. Finesse is the key, as is raker height.
John

square filing grind wheel

What type of wheel do you use to square grind?
Or do you just dress up a wheel and square it up?

What manufacturer has a diamond wheel to use for square grinding?

Latest posts

Back