Square ground chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you don't know that it will/won't work but you are guessing it won't work? I'm confused why you would make the statement then if you are unsure.
Baileys add said that it only worked with full comp chain. Having used a Timberline I think it must have a similar system, though the Timberline works on skip chain.

First of all thanks for every ones help, the file the stihl dealer sold me is triangle shaped but the corners are flat it would work fine if the flats on the corners were wider . The side plate is wider than the flat . From what I see from the post the double bevel file best fits the task. Stihl chains have angles not obtainable without grinding into the tie strap I assume they grind them before the chain is assembled.

First of all thanks for every ones help, the file the stihl dealer sold me is triangle shaped but the corners are flat it would work fine if the flats on the corners were wider . The side plate is wider than the flat . From what I see from the post the double bevel file best fits the task. Stihl chains have angles not obtainable without grinding into the tie strap I assume they grind them before the chain is assembled.
The double bit file edge that cuts the side plate are not must wider than the triangle file you picked up. I believe the single bit files side plate edge is twice the width as the double or triangle files side plate edge. I have not confirmed this but it appears this way when comparing pictures of the files. I do have a double bit too compare to the triangle and do know for a fact they have similar size side plate edges. I can take pictures of the two later to sir you of need.

Also, consider that the gullet will need to be cleaned with a round file regardless which for you use.

The 3 corner is probably the hardest to learn with. It's tricky to see the sideplate cutting edge to get the proper angle. And you'll have more work keeping the gullet clean.

The single bevel can flex. So if you use one watch out for that. They also cost just as much as the double for half of the working life.

Back