Squish is still .052 with no gasket, now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been working on a saw and finally got it back together. Measured the squish and it's .052 without the base gasket. OEM cylinder and piston and compression is at 135. Not where i want it, so now what do I do?

Sand down the case? Try another piston?

Thanks,

What saw is this on Randy? You might need to have the base machined a little to tighten that up.

An 064. Its a runner, just not a high compression runner. Wonder if I switch to another jug and slug that will change? ScooterBum was trading me an 066 p&c I have for the 064 p&c he has. Waiting for it to arrive, but scavenged what I had around here to try. Wished I had a way to do that here.

Last edited:
An 064. Its a runner, just not a high compression runner. Wonder if I switch to another jug and slug that will change? ScooterBum was trading me an 066 p&c I have for the 064 p&c he has. Waiting for it to arrive, but scavenged what I had around here to try. Wished I had a way to do that here.
Sorry about this,
Send me your address again. I cleaned out my PM box to good the last time.P&C are here on my desk.

I'd check all your crank and rod bearings real close for up and down play first.

Did you check the compression height? The 046 and 064 piston will interchange with the difference being compression height (pin to top of piston). Sounds like you have a 046 slug.

No idea if it's related to your problem or not, but I had a similar experience awhile back with an incorrectly machined Episan brand piston in an 064 I was building......They had taken the correct piston blank and machined the deck height to 046 specs.

Here's the thread from when I was having the same issue.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/165599.htm

OK, Then does anybody know the correct pin to deck height and I'll take a measurement?

22.5mm vs 23mm per the Meteor web site

STIHL Chainsaw Mod. 046 2 Strokes 1833 bore 52 compression height 22.5 Pin 39.5 12 X 33 X 8

STIHL Chainsaw Mod. 064 2 Strokes 1832 bore 52 compression height 23 Pin 43 12 X 33 X 8

my 066 mag had no base gasket and run about 180 with baileys bb kit, only saw i have came across that wouldnt work without a gasket was an 028 woodboss, i run all mine that i have worked on without a gasket

Latest posts

Back