SRT rope tie-off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the pull is fairly vertical wouldn't a timber hitch suffice? I use it but I do like alot of wraps. Of course retrieval from above is not gonna happen, but then again somebody is always below me.

I have trouble trusting a timberhitch unless it's under constant tension, but that's just me. You could add a tie-off to make sure it can't work loose, and your extra wraps help as well. But I don't think most people would think of it as a life support knot. Maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, I just terminate the end of the line with a biner, take 1 or two wraps around the tree (depends on if I think there is a chance of it sliding), and then clip the biner to the running side of the line. Cinches up tight, installs and removes quickly even in the middle of a long line. I just try to make sure that the biner is properly loaded. I know there are those that try to eliminate extra biners in their system, but I find it too easy and clean not to use one for my tie-off.

A timber hitch for the ground anchor of SRT is almost the WORST choice. If constant tension isn't maintained it can get baggy and not be secure.

Trunk wraps with a load releasing hitch is a good system to use since the climber can be lowered from the ground without a rescue climb...I know...not 100% of the time, but this is much more of a reality than with DdRT or a choked TIP.

I have pics of the trunk wrap but they're too big to upload now. If you want the pics send me an email or join the SRT conversation elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back