Stacked cord versus "thrown cord"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPS. LLC

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Rather than take the time do this on my own, I thought I'd ask since I'm sure someone on here has done it before. A previous thread had me wondering, how many cubic feet of space a cord of wood thrown on a truck/trailer would take up.

Of course this would vary, but I was curious as to whether anyone took a stacked cord and piled it on a truck/trailer and measured the space that it took up...I wonder what the average would be? Just throwing out a number, I was thinking around 140, maybe 150 cubic feet at the most.

About 180 cu ft (16" lengths). About 195 cu ft with longer wood (24")

We did a measurement on a full size truck bed full to the top of the rails. Stacked it came in at a smidgeon under 1/2 cord. I would think thrown in would be quite a bit less.

I've always had a hard time getting 180 to stack out. I usually need around 210. At 210 the customer will always be happy. That's what I strive for.

Scott

Sorry to be snobish but I think the only way to refute any questions is, it is always better to give it to them in a stack in the truck and if they wish measure the stack to prove the cubic feet. In less words "give just a little more", the customer will spread the word.

i sell 2 cord and the customer usually ends up getting 2.5 or more... the last time i did this the couple didn't expect me to come back with the second load... if your not sure, throw some more in..

Sorry to be snobish but I think the only way to refute any questions is, it is always better to give it to them in a stack in the truck and if they wish measure the stack to prove the cubic feet. In less words "give just a little more", the customer will spread the word.

I stack wood for all my customers. I was just curious what a "piled cord" would come out to. I need to stack it to get two cords in my dump trailer. I wouldn't have guessed a 30% increase in cubic feet though.

dhibbs75 and i have found to stack it on the truck or trailor you will get a lot more on

i sell 2 cord and the customer usually ends up getting 2.5 or more... the last time i did this the couple didn't expect me to come back with the second load... if your not sure, throw some more in..

Boy, you must have made a lifelong customer out of them!!:laugh:

I've always had a hard time getting 180 to stack out. I usually need around 210. At 210 the customer will always be happy. That's what I strive for.

Scott
:agree2::agree2::agree2:

180 cubic feet thrown = approx 1 cord . I always give a little extra if measuring this way. Customers never call to complain that they got a little too much but they will always call if they get shorted.

Stacking seems like a nice concept until you get into selling large volumes of wood. I dump my trailer, get paid, and leave.

This might be slightly off track, but I loaded a face cord (1/3 full cord) into my small not long bed Tacoma and it was "thrown directionally" but not stacked. It was all I could get it and drive relatively safely down the road - humped in the middle and the top half was placed by hand to get it in.

When I sold wood a long time ago (1980), a face cord tossed would nicely fill a full size (F150) bed even with the rails, with a bit of a hump in the middle.

I ripped a sheet of plywood down the middle and stood the pieces on top of the wheel wells, and covered the back window with a chunk of hardboard. Tossing that full was half a full cord (cut 16-18"), and all the old F 150 could handle.

Never had complaints on quantity, and it allowed us to split and load right in the woods. We did try to make sure we gave a little extra - it was worth it to avoid having to pile and measure.

Tim

I have a Dodge 1500 (1/2 ton).
I once hauled 2 loads of sand for a concrete project and the plant would weigh you light then loaded. First load I went until the rubber snubbers for my leaf springs made contact. Maybe a little more. 1900lbs. +/-. Didn't like that ride at all!!
Next load I left 1" before the snubber hit and it was 1200lbs. +/-. Way better.
Soooo.... when I bring in my seasoned Maple and Beech fire wood from my wood lot I just throw it in till it's more or less level with the top of the 6' box and that is 1'' space under my snubber. I just reach in behind the wheel and slide a couple fingers under it. My road is hilly and sometimes muddy so that's all I care to haul.
Stacked tight in my garage it comes out to just over 1/4 cord. Four trips would be a BIG cord. I also burn Quaking Aspen but I'll bet the same load weighs 1/3 less.
At first I would stack it in the truck too but it didn't make a whole lot of difference and I had to listen to the kids complain. :mad:
Dan.

I only had to buy wood one year when I started burning at my current house since I didn't have a chance to get my own. However I must say the three firewood sellers I dealt with two tried to short me and the third did what you suggested, "give a little more". That guy got my repeat business that year and his number sent to several other people I knew looking for firewood.

Being honest and providing a little more firewood than purchased buys a lot of goodwill. I am still on great terms with the guy who sold me firewood the first year, even though I haven't purchased from him in more than 6 years.

By the way a 1/2 Ton pickup can hold a cord, but I'm not sure it could do a cord of hardwood:

This is about 3/4 Cord in this load:

By the way a 1/2 Ton pickup can hold a cord, but I'm not sure it could do a cord of hardwood:

This is about 3/4 Cord in this load:

Since the bed of a 1/2 ton and the bed of a one ton are the same size, you are right, a half ton can hold a cord.

That said, if I ordered a cord of wood and that load showed up I would be feeling like I got shorted. It doesn't look like a cord to me.

Latest posts

Back