stacking rack ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I stack my firewood on the front porch three rows deep on either side of the front door. It is a covered concrete porch. In order to keep the pile up I need some way to support the ends of each stack. Any ideas like building something out of 2x4's? I see Baileys has some plastic things that 2 2x4's slide into horizontally and vertically. But they are 16$ for 2 so I would need like 12 pairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to go8' tall to the ceiling.

I use 2x4's in the basement the uprights are screwed to 4' long 2x4's that sit under the pile and the weight holds it from moving and the top is screwed to the floor joists.

For my outside piles I was using T posts but they always bent out. This year I started cross stacking the ends and its holding up better than the T posts even though I pile 6' high.

57912_1315655986434_1681757389_606787_7311949_n.jpg

Billy

Billy I agree. Cross stack the ends. Take your time and keep it nice and straight. It looks so much more professional. It helps a lot if the wood is all cut the same length.

I took a quick picture of a few cords of wood I have set up in my driveway. Not the best but you get the idea.

030-4.jpg

wood pallets are your friend. You can sometimes find them on craigslist, or you can ask around small businesses in your area. Though you probly won't get any from the big stores like walmart or menards. They always recycle their pallets.

I like cross stacking as well, but I wouldn't try to do it up to 8' high on a porch where it could fall on an unsuspecting victim! In fact piling that high, I would tie the piles to the house so they couldn't topple over in any direction either lengthwise or sideways. Use a 2x4 frame of sorts that is connected to the house.

One other thing. Be careful when stacking high. Kids love to try and climb the woodpile, and the higher they are, the more likely they are to fall on the kid. I cut 20" logs and I don't like to go much higher than 6 feet.

I also have to agree. I used to use steel posts but this year I tried the cross stacking. I love the way it looks and I never would have believed how well they hold.

I cross stack and use the u-stakes at the end just in case since my pile is over 40' long and I like to go 6'+. I put a u-stake ever 10-15 feet in the pile though. Maybe I over do it, but I have 0 desire to stack the same wood twice.

I agree on cross stacking for my piles in the field, but I don't think I can get enough wood on the front porch that way

I stack my firewood on the front porch three rows deep on either side of the front door. It is a covered concrete porch. In order to keep the pile up I need some way to support the ends of each stack. Any ideas like building something out of 2x4's? I see Baileys has some plastic things that 2 2x4's slide into horizontally and vertically. But they are 16$ for 2 so I would need like 12 pairs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to go8' tall to the ceiling.

forget the plastic things. Use treated 2x4s, and just nail them together. Lay out 2 studs on the concrete as rails (get your firewood off the concrete!) These will be up on their edges, not laying flat. Use a full 8' stud and fasten the bottom end to the rail, and the top end to the roof. Use some short 2x4s at the bottom end to space them. Like this:

attachment.php

forget the plastic things. Use treated 2x4s, and just nail them together. Lay out 2 studs on the concrete as rails (get your firewood off the concrete!) These will be up on their edges, not laying flat. Use a full 8' stud and fasten the bottom end to the rail, and the top end to the roof. Use some short 2x4s at the bottom end to space them. Like this:

attachment.php

This.

Seriously, I work with concrete formwork on a daily basis, and nails in 2x4s will outlast a plastic dohicky every time.

I like Marks idea but, after nailing it up, drill and bolt it together with some carriage bolts, nuts and lock washers.

Just cross stacking the end, always works for me. I keep my split wood in what was a cattle shed. Its on concrete, open, under roof, gets plenty of air. Only have to cross stack one end, the other is against the wall. One thing I try to do, is grab some squarer pieces to put on the end, to help in the stacking procedure..:)

100_0521.jpg

100_0519.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I just took 4 pieces of 2" pipe 6' long, & cut one end of each on a 45 angle &
welded them to make two L shapes. then take three pieces of steel to weld the two together about 10" apart, one on each end & one in the corner
I have made several. Like book ends you can use a pair of them to make a stack as long as you want it. It's late and I have a busy day tomorrow but I will try to post a picture.

Dave

Stacking on pallets might spread the weight of the wood around. I've seen pictures of folks porch caving in from wood...gotta be careful.

Hey Gregg - how in the world do you get your cuts so clean, straight and even?? Processor?

LOL, No processor. Just chainsaws and old 3pt. splitter.:)
When I split a trailer load of wood, I try to pick out some of the squarer (more easily stacked) on the end of the pile.
When I buck up a tree, I just guess at the length. Allthough, when its a very large tree, the pieces tend to get shorter..:dizzy: LOL The big rounds are to darn heavy. I then use a sledge & wedge to halve/quarter them to be able to load them. Most of the wood in those pics is Oak, but lately I mostly been cutting alot of Ash. (EAB) Its sad, but fortunately Ash makes excellent fire wood.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back