stacking rack ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took 4 pieces of 2" pipe 6' long, & cut one end of each on a 45 angle &
welded them to make two L shapes. then take three pieces of steel to weld the two together about 10" apart, one on each end & one in the corner
I have made several. Like book ends you can use a pair of them to make a stack as long as you want it. It's late and I have a busy day tomorrow but I will try to post a picture.

Dave

Sounds good, Dave! Let's see those pics!

Wood rack Pics.

I got pics. of my wood racks. One of them I made with 2x4 thin wall tube &
2x4 lumber but the lumber fits loosely. The others are actually conveyor rollers that were thrown away at work,& I always like free as the price.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I like the steel / pipe racks. I also like the fact that most everybody's rack is made of salvaged stuff from work. Ain't nothing wrong with being cheap :cheers:

And Mark, Back at ya! I think I even saw your little white pickup on 66 one morning. Glad I'm not the only one on here that has that painful commute. :censored:

Thanks guys, I like the steel pipes and the 2 x 4 ideas. I will get to work tonight on something.
The underneath of the roof is covered with like soffit type stuff so I would like to not drill through it. by mounting to the roof. Plus I want to disassmble the whole thing at the end of the winter to get my porch back.

Stacking on pallets might spread the weight of the wood around. I've seen pictures of folks porch caving in from wood...gotta be careful.

Good point, I have read that a cord of wood can weigh as much as 5000 pounds. I would bet there are a few porches out there that weren't built with the anticpation of supporting an extra 2.5 tons?

I bought some "Stack-it Brackets" from Seymour, and they seem to work pretty well. I built two racks that are 16' x 5' with pressure treated 2 x 4's. There pretty cheap as well, cost about $15 a set....

FreeBeech.jpg

I use pallets as well - if you turn one up at the end and brace it -

looks like |____|

air gets up under it and you can stack 2 rows per pallet. I am lucky that the local beer dist has thousands of them and gives them to me for free. We use new ones every year and burn the old ones for bonfire wood.

Even though lowes and other big stores recycle pallets, I've asked for them before and they always let me take a few. Their only concern was that I didn't mess up their piles getting the ones I wanted (that weren't broken). I just restacked the broken ones. Pallets are like snackeys. They're everywhere and most of them are discarded and broken.

I use pallets as well - if you turn one up at the end and brace it -

looks like |____|

air gets up under it and you can stack 2 rows per pallet. I am lucky that the local beer dist has thousands of them and gives them to me for free. We use new ones every year and burn the old ones for bonfire wood.

That's the way I do it, except I put cinderblocks or bricks under them, too. Somebody else just posted a good pic of the same idea:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=2463802#post2463802

IMG_0988.jpg

Back