Started a "Dead" Stihl 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My neighbor tried for hours to start his vintage Stihl 028, gave up, and called me. Here's what I did:
1) removed and cleaned the air filter.
2) removed spark plug and used a jumper to be sure that she was sparking. (She sparked.)
3) tried to start it again but she still refused.
4) removed plug again and added 2 teaspoons of mixed gas in cylinder.
5) pulled six more times and finally she fired and started. After a brief hesitation, she ran beautifully.

Mission accomplished. The saw was stored for 9 months with "old" gas and no fuel stabilizer. I probably should have dumped that and added fresh fuel. The case had lots of loose chain oil inside it, and I cleaned that out.

Any other diagnoses or recommendations for him? My fee was two beers. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
website for all makes and models of chainsaws

I happened to find this website, quit by accident. I was looking for some information on a chain saw that my Dad used to have, a long time ago. It was either a Stunk Custom Pro, or a Big Timber Pro. The only thing I can remember it had a 30" bar.
So I entered Strunk Chain Saws, in the Google Box, and this website came up. Its called Chain Saws Collectors Corner. It shows all the makes, history, you name it, it's there.
Google in Chain Saw Collectors Corner. Hit the first choice, and your there. On the first page, you should see a guy milling a chunk of maple..Up above there are your heading to choose from. It has forums like this website.
The Mcafee Site Advisor, has it listed Grey with a ? in the box. It might be new, and maybe dont have the sponsors like this website does either. I thought I'd let you Fellow Chainsaws know.
Bruce.

I happened to find this website, quit by accident. I was looking for some information on a chain saw that my Dad used to have, a long time ago. It was either a Stunk Custom Pro, or a Big Timber Pro. The only thing I can remember it had a 30" bar.
So I entered Strunk Chain Saws, in the Google Box, and this website came up. Its called Chain Saws Collectors Corner. It shows all the makes, history, you name it, it's there.
Google in Chain Saw Collectors Corner. Hit the first choice, and your there. On the first page, you should see a guy milling a chunk of maple..Up above there are your heading to choose from. It has forums like this website.
The Mcafee Site Advisor, has it listed Grey with a ? in the box. It might be new, and maybe dont have the sponsors like this website does either. I thought I'd let you Fellow Chainsaws know.
Bruce.

Bruce, folks around here have been using CSCC for years. Mike Acres, who operates CSCC, is a member here at AS, but I don't think that he posts very often.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView

Bruce.

Yep, you found Mike's site the same way I did. As the previous poster said, it is considered to be "The" chainsaw resource site.

Bruce, folks around here have been using CSCC for years. Mike Acres, who operates CSCC, is a member here at AS, but I don't think that he posts very often.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/GasbyManufacturer?OpenView
To be honest with you, I found this website ArboristSite by accident as well in April. I was looking for information for Pro Mac Saws, and this site was in the choosing page. I picked it, and the rest is history.
I have met a lot of great people on this website, and I really enjoy it. I've learned, and have seen things that I thought never existed, heard terms that I never knew was around. Received lots of input, and was able to give input. Great Web Site.
Bruce.

Latest posts

Back