Starter Rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Rob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I noticed the starter rope on my 372 was a bit short and it finely broke. How many revolutions should I wind the spool up before threading the new rope? I don’t want to over wind the spring.

Thanks for the help.

The usual way to to attatch the rope first, but don't wind it on. Put the pulley back in the saw and wind the spring by turning the pulley in the direction you pull. Let it go to suck the string in. You want to get it where the spring tension is just enough to keep the pull handle firmly against the saw.

I’m missing something here. I have pulled the side cover off the saw, pulley still attached to the inside of the cover. Am I supposed to remove the pulley from the cover, put it back on the saw? The screw that goes through the pulley into the cover is not accessible with the pulley on the saw.

I guess nobody is responding because it is easier to do than to explain.

John meant 'recoil housing' where he said 'saw'.
Carefully remove the rope pulley from the housing. Do NOT let the spring pop out, or you will spend 30-45 minutes trying to rewind it and put it back in.
Remove the old rope, feed the new rope (same size, NOT fatter- it will bind if you use too big of a rope and your rope will be too short) through the hole in the housing and through the hole in the pulley and tie it off. I melt the end of the knot to keep it from untying later.
Replace the pulley into the housing.
Grab the string in between the pulley and where it comes through the housing and pull up some slack. Needlenose pliers help if you can't get your finger in there. While holding that part of the string against that spot on the pulley, wind the pulley counter-clockwise a few turns. Then let the spring pull the line in. If your handle is still loose, repeat another turn or two untill the handle is snug to the outside of the housing.
Replace the housing with working recoil on the saw.

I've done hundreds of these, it's much easier to do than to explain. :) Anybody jump in if I missed anything.

Right, recoil housing. Oh, looking from the inside of the housing, you want to wind the spring clockwise. Counter-clockwise is the direction the spring pulls.

Unless you have a really terrible starter design like the old Tecumsehs, the spring is no problem. I unwind it, cleaning, lube it, and put it back in whenever I have to change a rope. It should only take 5 minutes or so once you get the hang of it. Springs in plastic "holders" like Jonsereds' are really easy. Maybe 30 seconds to coil into the holder and drop it in the starter housing.

Yup, John. You are right, wind the pulley clockwise and let the spring pull it back counterclockwise.
I still think those springs are a pain if they pop out. I've had many where the outside retaining band broke but the spring was still good. Just be careful not to pop it out, if it's really cruddy some brake cleaner followed by wd-40 or aerosol lithium works good for me. For a first-time recoil fixer and no one there to show him, it might be best to keep the spring in place. :)

Man you guys make it sound hard. These things are a piece of cake. Take the pulley out of the cranker assy. install the new rope in the pulley and wind it round the pulley. If you use a left handed knot it won't untie it's self. If you are using bulk rope that comes on a roll leave enough sticking out to tie the grip on. Drop the pulley back into the cranker housing, you may have to turn the pulley backwards until it ingages the spring, and put the screw back in. Feed the rope through the hole in the starter housing tie the grip on. Pull the grip until the rope is all the way out, now hold the pulley and pull a loop of the rope up between the pulley and the starter housing. Take hold of the rope on the pulley side and continue winding the pulley in the same direction until it stop turning then back it off one turn. Hold the pulley and pull the rope back into the housing. Put it back on the saw. Later Butch:cool:

It's all in the wrist. Some guys try to wind up the spring and then stuff it in. That's not how to do it. You hook the outer end and then wind into the cavity or holder/retaining strap. I bet I can do two a minute if it's easy, and I've only done maybe 15.

Got er Done!

Thanks guys! I went home last night and put the new rope in. I ended up just leaving the pulley in the housing and rolling forward, attaching the rope and letting it wind up, attached the handle and I was back to cutting brush. Took about 5 Min. once I went and found a lighter to melt the ends.

Latest posts

Back