Starting from Scratch, what should I start with to have the right equipment and steps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh79

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Happy New Year to All,
What equipment should i start with and what steps should I take to properly have a successful buisness. Marketing, gear, trucks, personnel, can anyone map it out for me, thankyou for ya'llls time.
Josh

Happy New Year to All,
What equipment should i start with and what steps should I take to properly have a successful buisness. Marketing, gear, trucks, personnel, can anyone map it out for me, thankyou for ya'llls time.
Josh

What, gettin an ice storm next week and the lotto didn't pan out?

Keep that overhead LOW, start slow and do not over extend your wallet. Not to sound like on of those guys, but... If you need to ask what equipment you need, you probably should get some training. When it comes time to get started, before you hit that tree you should have biz insurance.

Knowledge.....Thats the first piece you need and you can't buy it,you earn it....that takes a few years.Try asking again 2014

I guess I should have added that this is a 'Bite your tongue' because I know it is hard to do and thought in this thread we could lay off a little and still have the same result rather than stinking up a different thread. Hey, if not , No problem,
Jeff

I know there is a lot of talent out there and smarts out there and I think if they had a place to go, ((Like we do!!!!)), without being harassed, they would stick around and after we die, we will be 'Hero's'!
Jeff :clap:

Happy New Year to All,
Josh

This post hasn't got any info on what he knows or has to start a tree business so I begin with the basics to see how "HE" will reply. That makes it easier to point Josh in the right direction.

Thanks for the feedback

After reading these, my impression is that I should go be a groundie for a couple of years and then go it on my own.

Head up Josh!
Jep, be a groundie for a while. Learn from the old rats. Learn the climbing part, and top some trees by supervision from the experiended guys. I think the will be happy to teach, if u are interestet to listen and to learn and of course work hard.

And don´t forget the economic part of having your own company, takes a lot of time in the beginning.

Good luck.....................

I had a fellow (friend) tell me he was getting into the tree business. He didn't have a chainsaw yet. He was so inept, he couldn't keep a bicycle running.

He wanted to 'borrow until he could buy' my bucket truck. :dizzy:

I let him have it. I MEAN I gave him all my mind. (His wife told me I was too hard on him, then two month's later divorced him.)

Sorry for the hi jacking. But it might apply.

After reading these, my impression is that I should go be a groundie for a couple of years and then go it on my own.

Thats a great start and the more people you work with the more you learn...try to gather different techniques from each person.There are many ways to do the same job and some will work better than others.After 2 years you will know what you need to buy and do....or you will know that being an arborist isn't your cup of tea. Good luck bro!:chainsawguy:

1.The Fundamentals of General Tree Work by Jerry (G.F.) Beranek (Book)

2.The Complete Book of Knots - Geoffrey Budworth

3.The Tree Climbers Companion - by Jeff Jepson

4.Stump Grinder

5. Bucket Truck

6. ChainSaw

Don't listen to those guys... training is over rated... just buy a really big, cool looking saw and lots of insurance and learn as you go.. scars are cool... :laugh:

Just give me a little more time , I should have the drafts written up soon. You can go over them and see if they suit you.:cheers:

Happy New Year to All,
Josh

Josh, I got the same responses when I first started climbing and running a saw. No one wanted to coach or give input. So I was on my own. I ended up climbing and trimming all the branches of three 70 ft first at my home with no ropes, no rigs and just a bow saw. My tree buddies still discourage me after many years of work and no accidents.

There is a lot of macho-ness in this business but let me give it to you straight. 1) Find someone who knows a lot about the business (both technically and financially). Personally, I would work under seasoned pros while studying on your own. If you have the time and money, it is best to get an arborist certification. 2) Make sure you invest in the right equipment (Wesspur.com and Sherrilltree.com). Don't go cheap on your gear, if you plan to climb, buy a set at one time. 3) Don't take any job that is bigger than your confidence. Start with small jobs if working on your own. 4) make sure you design your business plan (decision to go it alone or work on a team) matches the local market/demand for services. If you don't have to be a boss or business owner right away, it is definitely best to work on the ground and see how other guys do the more skilled work. Good luck and have fun.

Latest posts

Back