State div. of parks and forestry allows cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilzlofgren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is for New Jersey. I just found this out a couple of days ago, I'm sure alot of states offer this:

This program was established to improve forest health and to provide products to both the Division of Parks and Forestry and to local businesses as well as to provide fuel wood for homeowners and recreational opportunities for all.

The Commercial Firewood Program is designed to accomplish desired forestry work and to exchange firewood for cutting rights on Division lands. A portion is returned to the Division of Parks and Forestry and sold to campers at a nominal fee, thus eliminating costs of firewood production for the Division. The woodcutter then utilizes the remaining trees according to the best economical return depending upon the current local markets.

Under The Homeowner Firewood Program homeowners may apply (at a local State Forest Administration Bldg.) for a permit to cut one (1) cord of firewood over a 2 day period for a fee of approximately $20.

The following State Parks and Forests are participating in the 2006-2007 Homeowner Firewood Program: High Point State Park, Belleplain, Brendan T. Byrne, Stokes and Wharton State Forests. Please contact these locations for additional information.

Jeff, which agencies allow dead standing trees to be cut? Most places around where I live only allow down and dead trees. Selected state forested areas are open for wood cutting. Most places I have found around here are few and far between. When you visit these selected areas, they are almost always unmarked and near private property. You definitely have to navigate carefully or you will eventually run into an angry property owner.

I read here on AS that the FS allows it on certain properties. But you gotta pay for it. Here on the OlyPen clear cuts are a dime-a-dozen and you can get firewood permits from the state. They send you a permit (free) for whichever property you want that they have available. Map included. It's pretty obvious here where your boundaries are-it's just the edge of the clearcut, which is marked well in itself.

Things must be different here.......

Ok, that seems to make sense. I think things are runned differently over here in Eastern Washington. I obtained my State Land cutting permit for free at the local map store. Once you get the permit, you must obtain a state land map (I paid $7.00 for one) When I opened up the map and corresponded the nearest openareas, I discovered that there are very few places around the Spokane area. One of them is only about 2acres in size. All of the land I drove to on the map in my area was not marked, clear-cutted, fenced, or anything else. Very confusing and frustrating to pin-point the land. All of these small pieces of State Land were surrounded by private property. My last firewood cutting experience in these areas was troublesome. I had several nearby residents stop and wave me and my buddy down to quit sawing. All of them agreed that we were on State Land, but it was odd to see anyone collect wood from these areas. Hey! if it's legal.......It's legal! At least we had our permits on us to prove our legality. :D

Yeah, if you're legal, :censored: 'em. Alot of the cuts here aren't huge either, but some are tens of acres. You get there, and if it's sooner after the operation is done, you can get wood for days. I did that my first winter here before I got in with my gypo buddy and started doing tree and timber work on my own. The state wood is great as it's free, but you can almost always count on it being dirty and/splintered, and it's always on a hill. But as a free source for the regular guy, it can't be beat.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back