Steelcore around powerlines, steelcore safer than rope.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking over Toms site as I sometimes do I saw what I feel is B.S. about steelcores. People there stated that steelcores are no safer than rope and Tom and others stated that climbers should not, shall not use steelcores around powerlines.

I only climb with steelcores, always, around powerlines usually. It is totally allowed here by the Workers Compensation Board (like O.S.H.A. in the U.S.), and by the major utility company. There is no problem whatsoever using them around powerlines as long as you do not violate limits of approach to the conductors.

They are much better than rope, in that it takes a bit of effort to cut them, it is usually a nick or glancing blow with an 020 that would sever a rope instantly but the steelcore holds together (though it may have to be replaced). They are all I have ever climbed with, I am experienced and certified to climb around power. All they guys I see climb, even res., use them. Some one here a while back was saying they cut through one in seconds with a 70cc size saw on the ground, fine, I mean in the tree with a top handle. So, anyone who is allowed to climb around power please speak to the power issue and others go ahead on whether they are actually safer or not.

Been doing res and commercial climbing since 91. I have done quite a bit of work around lines and drops but have never done line clearance. I have always been told to not use the steel core when working close to lines by climbers that I have learned from. I got nipped onetime by the highlines and could feel stinging in my feet where my gaffs were the only point of contact with the tree except for a rope lanyard. One climber pointed out some old rusty lines on a drop to a commercial building to me onetime and told me that those are the ones to look out for. That the older decrepit looking lines are the ones that will arc really far. That being said, I used my steel core on a large limb I was removing from over a line about a month ago. But I'm always 100% sure before I cut a limb over a line (or anywhere else for that matter) these days... :D

steel core

please stay a least 15 ft away from power lines.I have witness both in the tree profession and fire dept lines arc at 12 ft we had com ed did a demo on a normal day no humidity and they had a power spike in the line i never seen or would have believed the arc that shot out and hit the boom. they said the safe distance is 15 ft.they said any conductor would be ground especially steel core.I use steel core on everything but by powerlines after that demo.stay safe

Steelcore..Why not.

Hey, I've been climbing residential for 15 and have been certified for line clearance for a year now. Myself...see no problem w/ using steelcore lanyards around lines. I have been told that is also unsafe to wear steel-toed boots around the wires but that's all Ive ever worn. Chances are that if a climber comes into direct contact w/ a live wire he's perty much toast anyway. Steel cored lanyards are easier to flip when in a large tree and not nearly as easy to cut through if you ask me. Minimum working distance in my area for a 34,500 3phase power line is 2'9": you figure w/ all of the gear ie:d-rings, gaffs, snaps, carabeeners chainsaw and any other gadgets we climbers like to use...if the wires are going to arc...well can you say medium well or well done. Just watch your cuts, overhangs and swing or drop distance and be as safe as one can be. If it's my time to go then I can't tell the man upstairs I want a raincheck.

Last edited:
steelcore all i got. 2 of em.

although my next buy is a 12ft 2-n-1 rope lanyard but that is just for the ability to be to double fliplined in for ascent and pruning and potential 3 way tie in when the need arises. 3rd TIP being the lifeline of course. not sure how pliable the 2n1 steelcore lanyard would be.

oldirty

Last edited:
I was certified as a line clearance tree trimmer in '93.
The whole thing with wire core lanyards around power lines is the lanyard manufactures say do not use them near electrical sources. Well "near" is a subjective word. To my way of thinking, if I don't get closer than my minumum safe distance, then I didn't get the wire core "near" an electrical hazard.
If you asked the mfr of your rope lanyard they would say the same thing, the same for your chain saw, speed saw, wood handle pruner, or any thing else that is not resistance rated.
I think the US line clearance trimmers are having a knee jerk reaction to something new to them.

As we all know..anyone who has been at this long enough gets used to working w/ what they were taught or have just gotten used to. I am ALWAYS willing to try something new if it can make my job easier. There is always an aspect of danger, even injury or death in our line of work. Those are the chances we take to do what we love.

:greenchainsaw:

I wouldn't use them say around 230KV or 500KV but thats me. The static from the 500KV on the ground is enough to scare you at times. I see no issue with steel core near distribution and lower KV transmission lines. Most any dirty rope safety is enough to conduct.

I wouldn't use them say around 230KV or 500KV but thats me. The static from the 500KV on the ground is enough to scare you at times. I see no issue with steel core near distribution and lower KV transmission lines. Most any dirty rope safety is enough to conduct.

What is your minimum distance for 230kv and 500 kv?

First let me correct my minimum distance for 34.5kv dist. lines...at my altitude the min. is 2'6". As for 230kv the min. is 7'11" and 500kv is 19'. I don't work those transmission lines very often and I'm glad I don't.
When working under those lines the truck is energized enough to give us a little jolt any time we go to open or close the doors or touch it for that fact. A guy I work with is on those lines now and he was telling me that when he is parked under or near the lines he has to put black tape on his files in order to sharpen his saws. He told me that once he went to spit and he hit the truck and that the spit was still attached to his face when it hit the truck and got zapped in the mouth. I mainly work 19.9, 48.0, 34.5 distribution lines and sub-staions. Still learning the whole line clearance thing, so I'm glad that I don't work those lines very often. Any tips or knowledge on line clearance from any of the oldschool climbers would be helpful. Residential for 15yrs... this line clearance crap is a whole nother monster. I'm from Texas..what the hell am I doin' in Pa......It's cold up here.

:jester:

I have worked the LCTT aspect of our field for 20yrs+, I have never used steelcore but think it would be safer when bucking down large spars.

The utilities pretty much mandate what to use when performing tree trimming operations on their property, A good friend of mine & a long time tree trimmer(lctt) which I helped train, now works for first energy as a utility transmission linemen, so heres some neat info:

1- linemen wear steel toe boots.

2- transmission lines usually carry 69kv regardless of what said rating is!!

3- the neat rubber gloves he gave me are rated for 23kv, they work on the lines using direct contact and all that is between them & the power is rubber gloves(very expensive, I will not test them!!).

4- their safety straps are leather belts very thick & akward to adjust.

5- their clothing is fireproof & a shirt can cost well over $2-$300.00

If steelcore works for, you use it!!

I always said & will continue to say there is no higher authority on what I use, how I do something or what judgement call I make when I am climbing than me!!!

LXT.................

^^^^ on #5 ^^^^
:censored:

Is that to stop the falling flaming ball of flames, that was you, from catching the ground cover on fire???????

Just curious, yes I know its a stupid question, I shall reprimand myself shortly.

Serge

I have climbed and supervised climbing operations around
distribution and 500 kv and have to agree with clearance
on this issue a wire core manila rope is what I started climbing
with and I would not use them but a flip line wtf no different than
d rings. I also think I know where this bs originated from a untrained
individual was climbing out in California and was using a chain for
a safety got into the line and died. No different if he was using a buckstrap!

^^^^ on #5 ^^^^
:censored:

Is that to stop the falling flaming ball of flames, that was you, from catching the ground cover on fire???????

Just curious, yes I know its a stupid question, I shall reprimand myself shortly.

Serge

flame retardant clothing is mandatory for some linemen, in my buddy`s case it is to prevent static flaming, the tools they use have to be slid across the towers when handing to another worker to prevent shocking one another.

Not sure about parts of your question, refering to the ground cover on fire, WASNT ME!!! not sure of what your talking about here!!

Be Safe, Take care

LXT................

Since i'm not line clearance I make an effort to stay away from power as much as possible but i've had the occasional wire go unnoticed until i got up top mainly off the top of my head a 4' thick dead for 4-5 years live oak i had everything but the top forks out and I preceeded to climb and cut 30' of top out because i thought all was clear and before I fired the saw i noticed it would have hit 3 phase. since the top was to rotten to climb I justfelled the entire tree in the oppisite direction with the homeowners permission and suggestion over an already crushed fence.before i started any tree work the tree dropped a limb on his fence.

Re: Electrical and wirecore:

Normally, the tailend of my lanyard just swings as it pleases, and I use both rope and wirecore.

My approach to electrical is ten feet, If I go there, my lanyard tail is coiled and stowed, rope or wire. If I can only go ten feet, none of my gear is getting closer. And my tie-in is always set so I'll swing away from the power.

In that sphere of consideration, I see no difference between the two.

Considering cut by a chainsaw, OF COURSE a steel or wire-core is more durable.

In that sphere of consideration, there is no contest.

RedlineIt

Personally I like rope but I don't see how steel core is gonna be much additional danger around electrical hazards as long as your qualified and treat it like a wet or dirty rope that's capable of conducting current.

Sometimes flipping up pines I wish I had a steel core just because it would flip better but I haven't sprung for one. I make my own rope lanyards and I don't have the stuff to make a swaged steel eye so I'll probably have to bag a really big pine job before I go spend the money for one.

Back