Step up from the 290 to 038av magnum 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonesy11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Going to buy a non running 038av magnum II today, its not the prettiest but at 72cc I think it is worth the $40 investment. If anything I can get that back out of the bar and chain

Guy said the shop told him it was about $500 to rebuild because of obsolete parts availability.

Anything I need to be aware of about this old monster other than it should run close to an 044 but weigh more.

I am hoping to post my progress on the rebuild of this saw (my first rebuild) I feel many trips to the parts shop in my future.

226364d1330354469-038av-jpg

226365d1330354471-038av2-jpg

Last edited:
I think you'll do alright with the rebuild and it won't be anywhere near $500. I have a 038 Mag and wouldn't even think of getting rid of it, there's just something about that generation of saw. It is heavier and a little bit slower than the new stuff but these 038's have so much more torque, you'll get through most everything. At this point I really don't think you will have any problems with parts availability, the 038 series saws were one of the most popular and rugged saws Stihl ever built, they just keep on going.
Looking forward to seeing the updates of your rebuild. Good luck.

:cheers:

$40?! Some folks have all the luck!

well after reading post after post of freebies and seeing jaw dropping good deals, I am proud to finally be able to have the opprotunity to get my hands on one.

He originally wanted $75 but threw out $40 as a low offer and he took it. think I could have gone lower but I didn't want to insult the guy and scare off a good saw like this

Took a lunch from the 9-5 and went and got it. Only other prob I see on it is the muffler is dented in a little, could just be the heat deflector though. I am happy with it. more pics to follow after work.

me too!!!

hey jonesey i also got a 038 mag II,good luck i'll probly start a new thread tomorrow with pics.seems to be a highly thought of saw around here 72cc oh yeah!!!

Can anybody give me a suggestion on a good piston kit. been looking at Golf and Meteor and just wondered who had good results with them.

Thanks Brad, I will be ordering a meteor soon then. I looks like the intake boot was where the air leak was which caused the scoring. Have to go and get a skinnier shaft T27 to pull the cylinder off so I can finish the disassembly. The saw is cleaning up nicely as I am taking it apart though.

On the handle I took the tape off and found a carved piece of wood making up the broken gap at the back of the handle held in place with wood screws, tape, and then aluminum flashing tape.

Still nobody wants to comment on the cylinder?

Has a few spots on the intake side that a fingernail can catch. can't tell if it is raised aluminum transfer from the piston or if it is scored into the cylinder wall.

dosent look good some people have had luck with muratic acid and a q tip to try and remove any meted piston pieces off of cylinder walls. if it is gauged through the plating I would get a cylinder and piston kit ebay has some good deals look for an original stihl cylinder if you can find one check w baileys as well.That cylinder looks bad to me but pics are pics, ya know hard to tell without holding it in my hands.

038 Magnum II

Great deal, it will take some work but those are great saws, other than the air cleaner is a bid dodgy. That looks like the one I had.... You found the key, the boot, which in my case was due to worn out isolation bushings. The bushings got loose, caused lots of flexing at the handle to piston interface, wore a crack in the boot. The local dealer here got a new boot, I think it was from Stihl.

does anybody know on this saw if you eliminate the base gasket what the squish will be or will the piston hit the top of the cylinder?

Base Gasket oir Not?

The only way to know is to measure it with clay or soft solder wire. Production tolerances are such that a case may be maximum height from the center of the crankshaft and the cylinder may be minimum tolerance for that height. That combination would result in a very low remaining height between the top of the piston and the cylinder.

When you start changing cylinders and pistons, then you have to check it all piston contact and clearance, etc. Otherwise you may have a mess on your hands. Several AS members do this, read their posts on it.

Latest posts

Back