Sthil 038 super or Sthil ms 310?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerdogman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I currently have a 038 super that needs some attention! I had a tree fall on it and bust the handle/gas tank which is 200 dollars! It needs a coil and a new bar! A friend of mine has a 310 and said he would trade me since he could use parts for the 038 super he has, my question is is should I do it? I cut alot of firewood for my outdoor wood burner. I have been wanting a different saw that has the new twist lock caps and the side chain adjustment. I have never used the 310 that why I am looking for opinions. Thank you

The 310 isn't a bad saw but it is basically a 290 farm boss with a bigger p&c. They aren't in the same league really. You would be giving up about 7-8 cc's and a ton of torque a pro built for a clamshell style. I would look for a 036,360,361 or 044,440 myself.

Last edited:
The 310 is a fine saw, but I think your financial situation should be your guide. If there are no monetary hold backs, buy a new MS 261 C-M with 16" guide, and then fix the 038 SUPER. If no money then just make the trade already!

I currently have a 038 super that needs some attention! I had a tree fall on it and bust the handle/gas tank which is 200 dollars! It needs a coil and a new bar! A friend of mine has a 310 and said he would trade me since he could use parts for the 038 super he has, my question is is should I do it? I cut alot of firewood for my outdoor wood burner. I have been wanting a different saw that has the new twist lock caps and the side chain adjustment. I have never used the 310 that why I am looking for opinions. Thank you

Busted up 038 for a running 310???
Got wood to get cut???
No brainer... Make the trade...
A wrecked Mercedes has less value to me than a running f150...

Either saw will cut all the wood you need as a firewoodburner. There are some differences.

to disadvantage of the 310
1. Weight
2. Power
3. Pro build (but there are so many threads out there how to rebuild a 290/310/390 saw there is nothing to fear. And there is a reason why Baileys[site sponsor] offers a complete 390 engine block to rebuilders!)

to disadvantage of 038
1. spare parts
2. more modern saw

but these are all only minor differences

Just try it out, if he is your friend he should have nothing against it. With a muffler mod it should run very nicely and nip at the 038 heels. But of course there is a reason why he wants to trade....

If you want cheap modern pro 60-65cc saw in the same league look at the efco 165 line or the echo 590/600p. They won't set you back as much as the major players(Husqvarna & Stihl) but will still be a better choice than the SemiPro/Farmer line up. Simply said you get a pro saw for the price of a SemiPro/Farmer saw!

Good luck!

I have an 038 magnum that 26 years old and sthil going very strong
Ive repaired broken brake handles and the rear handle that broke I tripped and the handle took the weight of my landing

Its just a great olson of a saw

The ms310 standard was a nice saw I thought
started well n cut well for what is was just a little tired , I thought
I did the muffler mods retuned it and found to my delight quite and an awakened attitude

I run 20" bar n 3/8 and cut mostly dry hardwood and Im chuffed with the performance
Its light and nimble and holds strong reves in the cut with out screaming the gutz outta the motor nice torque for what it is I wouldn't like to part with my magnum but if I was in a situation Id take the 310 do the mods retune all takes 1/2 hour if you've any skills or a capable friend
then go cut wood

Ok I really hate to give up a magnum! I know it's getting older though! I think I'll try the 310 and go from there. A guy I work with has a plastic welder, do you think that would be a strong enough fix?

IF you have the money and can quickly scrounge up the parts you need used, fix the 038. If you don't, and want to go get cutting without dorking around, do the trade and back to work slacker!!
A 310 is just a slightly larger farm boss, and there have been cubic miles of firewood cut with them. Cubic...miles....

;)

You can always be keeping a lookout for a used pro larger saw later.

That's kind of how I feel! I know a couple of people that have the same owb as me and use a 250. I just hate to make a mistake but ill run it and see what I think

You guys just sitting around? Lol seriously thanks for the info

I have been restacking already stacked wood, to both make room, plus to stack it better. I had long range stacks using logs to get it off the ground, but the dang logs are rotting and the stacks sinking. So, tediously moving piles and gonna restack on pallets on top of railroad ties, most of it anyway.

so, sitting around..just sometimes. Working in between the rain mostly lately, rained every single day now since...long time.

I primarily do a lot of mowing in the summer and it has sucked for that as well, grass growing 3 times as fast and you know what cutting wet grass means....

The 310 will be fine. When I moved in here, the first three years I did 100% of my firewood (4 cord/yr) with an old homie tophandle trim saw.....

Back