stickering - kind of boring....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I spent part of the winter sawing up some 40 spruce & pine logs I hauled in last summer. The long ones I stacked a few weeks ago, the 8 footers today. These were all dead stacked next to the mill. At least this time of year, you dont have to worry about mold. Loaded on my F350 -
L1.jpg
I never thought about tallying it all up - But here it is stacked & stickered.
L2.jpg
Now it can just sit there & dry.
L3.jpg
There's not much more boring than doing this, but it's part of the system if you want lumber.

Nice what are you planning on doing with all that? I have some pine thats cut into 20' lengths in a pile I'm considering milling into exterior siding, but I have a few downed cedars that I think would be more worthwhile to mill, but the pine needs to milled soon or it will get ate/rot up. So much wood so little time *sighs*

Here's some of what I've been milling & sticker stacking since the middle of January in my "spare time".

36inchbar003.jpg

36inchbar002.jpg

When it dries it will go in our house as paneling etc, the never ending re-model.

Andy

Most of what we have is Ponderosa Pine. But we also have some Black Jack, Pinon, and the stack in the second picture is Sugar Pine.
I live in a "mixed conifer" forest, so we also have Douglas Fir, White Fir, Balsam Fir, and Spruce. But no hardwood's to mention, unless you count Aspen.

Andy

Some claro walnut

PICT0029.jpg

Well today was my turn to stack and sticker. I milled the top log last saterday and 5 slabs from the bottom log the day before. I had rain on Sunday and Monday and just now got time to stack and sticker things properly. with the way the weather has been it takes 2 or 3 days after we get rain before I can drive out into the orchard without getting stuck. I will be milling tomorrow and saterday and we have more rain predicted for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.

I met with the manager of the property and he is still planing on pushing things into a pile at the end of March, But I may be able to get a few logs pulled to a spot where I can mill them past the end of March.

The bottom log had some 8' slabs, the top log is a bit over 7'. the other end is milled througn the stubs of the branches and is irregular so if I cut the other end square and trim the near end I will likely lose a good 6"-8" inches. In reality I will likely cut off the graft portion and the edges and will lose almost 50% to waste by the time it goes out the door of my shop as furniture.

Latest posts

Back