Sticky levers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What would cause a sticking hydraulic lever? On my stumpgrinder the lever that controls the tongue extension, which I almost never use, sticks wherever you push it ie: not returning to center. I was thinking moisture build up in there and maybe it's starting to rust or gunk up in there, I tried repeatedly moving it back and forth and it didn't loosen up.
Is any part of the hydraulic system under pressure when not running? Can I just take the lever assembly apart and clean it out? :Monkey:

Todppm
At the end of that spool section and opposite the lever, there should be a cap held on with several small cap screws. Inside is the spool centering mechanism. Very often it is a washer fastened to the end of the spool with a spring on either side of it. Sometimes the screw that holds the washer to the spool, backs out and the spool is free to stop in whatever position you leave it. I hope it is this and not a scored spool section.

Frank

It's a pretty new machine and that one hardly used so hopefully not scored. It does try to center that's why I'm thinking it's rusty or gunked up?
So no pressure in there, can just take it apart?

Toddppm

That screw that holds the washer to the end of the spool is usually an allen head and sometimes when it comes out it kind of jams in there. Occasionally a piece of seal or inner hose liner gets jammed into a spool. If it is something hard that has galled up the crome on the spool it has a different feel. There should be no rust or gunk in therel.

Frank

It's a Super Jr. self propelled.
Was reading my manual from my old one and it says there can be internal pressure buildup? Better get a service manual for this thing before I start messing w/ it huh?

I know this might sound silly, but have you sprayed around the handle and valve with PB Blaster or something to loosen up any external crud buildup before taking it apart? Sometimes a good cleaning will solve a lot of 'sticky lever' problems.

Latest posts

Back