Stihl 009 Walbro WT 29-A Carb Trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvb1130

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got the saw the other day in a package deal. I got a Echo EVL300 and a stihl 009 white and orange for 100 bucks. I am working on the stihl first since it is the nicer saw. I am rebuilding the carb but cant find the exact part since it is no longer made. It is the WT 29-A Walbro carb. When i took it apart there was a small metal circular piece that came in the kit i got from the stihl guy but it wasnt in the carb when i took it apart. I am not sure it goes there or not.
I put in new screen, needle, lever and gasket etc. now gas is coming out of the muffler when i try to fire it up. So i basically have 2 questions do i need to put in that little metal piece? Do i tighten the screw that holds the lever down all the way and bend the lever or back the screw out until the lever is close to the top of the carb diaphram?

Welcome aboard.

The WAT kit you received is also used for WA series carbs, and has many parts that you do not use on your WT. That small circle part is called a welch plug, and shows to be used on the WT-29A carb as item 23. The Walbro website didn't currently show your given model number for some reason, but I looked it up in their carb parts book.

EDIT: It now shows the carb two days later .....

The gaskets and diaphragms however, have to match up exactly, as there are spares of each for other carb
series contained in the kit. They also have to be installed in the correct order, fuel pump diaphragm first, then the gasket; but on the other side of the carb it's metering diaphragm last after the gasket is placed on the carb body.

The lever screw is tightened down all the way snug, then the lever is bent (use a toothpick) to just
touch the center tab on the special W tool in the picture on the left. The W tool is required, or a shop could set the lever quickly. Make sure the tiny metering spring is not kinked and is pushing straight up on the bottom of the lever.

Attachments

• W tool.jpg
    W tool.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 25
Hotshot,

Thank you for the reply I am pretty new to all of this stuff and right now the saw is still out of commission fuel kept coming out of the muffler and i checked to see if it was getting spark and poof a mini fireball. I jerked my hand away and ripped the sparkplug boot off and broke the wire inside. So i went and ordered a new boot and the guy said the wire came with it but it didnt so now I need to get the wire inside of the boot.

I also cleaned the carbon off the piston and cylinder and all of the roller bearings around the crankshaft fell out ( what a nightmare) I did get them all put back in place ( Hard Grease, Time, mini tweezers, Patience).

I am pretty excited though I just got my business letter from the secretary of state and my tax ID and my insurance will be good to go next week. I have been doing some side jobs and last week I climbed a 60ft ash and dropped about a 30ft top out of it and it was awesome.

Anyways thanks for the response sorry about my delayed reply I appreciate the input and hopefully I keep getting more info from this site. My collection is growing though. I know have a 009, echo evl 300, ms 250, makita dcs520i, and my baby the 200T.

Any advice on the tree business is also greatly appreciated!

Mvb1130

Great job on getting the business started up.

On that saw, if fuel is still coming out of the muff, I'd pull the carb right back off as something went wrong.

Go back through the carb again and post pics if you have questions. That's a basic carb to rebuild, just did a WT today that got the check valve disc blown inward by compressed air.

If someone has been there before and put the wrong parts in it, then pictures work well to identify the correct parts.

I did used compressed air on the carb maybe that is my problem. What is this mysterious check valve disc you speak of. Is it one of the diaphragms? When I took the carb apart I cleaned it with carb cleaner and compressed air. But i still cant test it yet because i am missing that spark plug boot wire.

Back