Stihl 009L no spark!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a fairly low hour one of these, seems to have good compression but no spark. I have not opened it up yet to try cleaning the coil/flywheel. I will try that but guessing I may have to find a coil. Has anyone had decent results with an aftermarket coil, really don't want to spend very much on this saw ( paid too much already)

I cleaned and recapped the coil area. I think it was little tight, as there were marks non the coil where flywheel may have rubbed. Still no spark...... I looked at coils on ebay. it appears that the 009 uses the same coil as the 020 021 023 and 025, possibly the 200t? Does that sound right? I can get an ebay cold for 12 or so bucks, but I would rather have a good used one. anyone?

I guess I don’t know. Do I have to pull the flywheel to figure that out?
yeah there should be a wire running under the flywheel if there is points. Also the flywheel will be dished out a little in the middle if it has points (though it may be dished on electric ignition if they didn't change the design.) I have an earlier 009 that does have points.

I sure don't see any obvious points, but am I looking in the right place? Never saw a saw with points in my life. So, if it doesn't have points, does that indicate the coil as the problem?

IMG_0962.JPG

If you think you can use it you can have it. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

I sure don't see any obvious points, but am I looking in the right place? Never saw a saw with points in my life. So, if it doesn't have points, does that indicate the coil as the problem?
Yep you're right, no points so that does pretty much narrow it down to the coil.

The points would be under the flywheel and work off a lobe on the crankshaft which opens and closes the points. The little square thing in the photo is a trigger . It does what the points would do.
They were used on saws post points. And now it is all included in the ignition module. one single piece.

I bought one for $20 that wouldn't start. Showed spark when I grounded the plug. Someone said just try a new plug before anything. Fired right up. Try easy and cheap first. (Applies to repairs and first wives)

I bought one for $20 that wouldn't start. Showed spark when I grounded the plug. Someone said just try a new plug before anything. Fired right up. Try easy and cheap first. (Applies to repairs and first wives)
I put an in line spark tester on mine, could a bad plug make the tester show no spark? I was thinking the spark started at the coil?

Back