Stihl 009L Opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was having a look-see through my Stihl sales catalog at the MS180 and noticed that Stihl has an older looking/design saw, the 009L.

Anyone use this saw? Opinions?

Thanks!
Bill

Worst saw ever designed by humans. This saw is a pure abomination to everything that is good and sacred in this world. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one, it will not cut anything and throw your blood pressure through the roof.

As much as I respect AOD I have to disagree with him on this one. I bought one several years ago at a yard sale that started and ran like new for $75.00 and it was a great little saw to use. I never had to do anything to it except routine maint. so I don't know how bad they are to work on.
I would give $75.00 for another that was that nice today. Quite powerful for its size, light, nimble and stone cold reliable.
Just remember that it isn't a hammer, crowbar or splitting maul, it is a small saw.
Mike

I love mine! Always starts right up. Runs and cuts good. I have had no complaints with it.

IM001561.jpg

As soon as I saw the title, I knew it was inevitable......

Worst saw ever designed by humans. This saw is a pure abomination to everything that is good and sacred in this world. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one, it will not cut anything and throw your blood pressure through the roof.

I used my 13 year old 009 today (don't know if it's an 009L), and it is actually quite satisfying to use. It may not be as fast as other saws, but for having had no maintenance but a plug, bar, chains and air filter, it performs quite well. I will one day post a vid on Youtube of me using it, with some Pantera as background music, just for you, kiddo. I like the reed valve popping idle, and the thing is so darn reliable!:chainsaw: :clap:

Oh my BP is something like 115/70, FWIW. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Perfectly good small saw. Always starts, always cuts. No, you're not going to be slicing up 24" oak with it, but for the job it is designed for (small limbing and clearing) it is a good item - particularly if you can get one cheap.

On crappy terrain where I have to walk miles, I'd choose the 009 over the 024 any day.

Other than the broken handlebar I like mine. And as has already been said, it starts and runs every time. My wife can even start it.:)

This saw is downright terrible. I would rather use a dull Super 2. I would rather use a pocketknife. I would rather gnaw through wood with my teeth! These saws should all be confiscated and put in a rocket to be fired into the center of the sun!

This saw is downright terrible. I would rather use a dull Super 2. I would rather use a pocketknife. I would rather gnaw through wood with my teeth! These saws should all be confiscated and put in a rocket to be fired into the center of the sun!

Did you get the chain in the dirt?

Yeah, I'll back up AoD on this one. Even with Five Finger Death Punch playing in the background this saw ain't worth much. However I would rather have this little toy than use my teeth. We differ there.

Dang AOD what happened?

Did you catch a 009 in a compromising position with your girlfriend or what?
The 009 I talked with said it thought that you were a basically good person but you would have to learn to overcome your animosity toward the 009 race before any lasting relationships could be formed.
I am willing to mediate and help you arrive at a "common ground" but first you must realize that each one is an individual. LOL
Mike

I think the 009 is a pretty good saw one that probly should have been continued. the epa has struck again lots of good saws going down the tubes.

(I think he likes them)

Will you post a video of you gnawing your way through a limb? Huh? Please? Captain Termite?:dizzy:

Yeah John yours is an 009L...they didn't make a 009 except the L to my knowledge.

Actually it does not say "L" on the side, just "009." I think mine is a 2.1 cubic inch, a the L says 2.5, FWIW. An 009 with 40 cc's would be quite a little saw.........

I think I would take it over a Wild Thing for sure!:greenchainsaw:

Wow. 600 posts! and here I am talking about my 009. My, my.

Last edited:
Actually it does not say "L" on the side, just "009." I think mine is a 2.1 cubic inch, a the L says 2.5, FWIW. An 009 with 40 cc's would be quite a little saw.........
Ok yeah the "L" part of the name refers to Limbing which is in reference to the handle configuration on the 009L. The 009 only had one handle configuration whereas other models like the 011 had an AV (rear handled version) and an AVT (rear/top handle cross).

Latest posts

Back