Stihl 009L Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishesman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Yesterday I pulled out my old, but trusty, Stihl 009L to trim an oak limb. I hadn't run the saw since early last year after I picked it from the service shop. I put fresh gas in her, properly mixed with Stihl oil. I cut down the limb and proceeded to cut it into manageable size pieces. About half way through the job I noticed some strange smoke wafting up from the saw. I looked down and the plastic case was melting just behind the pull start on the back left side of saw (just above the 009L emblem). Any idea what caused this happen? Did my saw finally give up the ghost? After it cooled I tried to crank it and it fired right up. Nothing seems to be siezing up. It did seem louder than noraml, but that mat be form the missing case. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the muffler fell off. Pull off the starter housing to get at the muffler and see what the problem is.

I agree that the muffler is come apart. Pull the starter and you will find that the 3 screws holding the muffler cover on are loose or missing.

Thanks guys. You were right on the money. I pulled the cover apart yesterday afternoon and the muffler cover was off. I have a feeling when my saw was serviced last year they didn't tighten it correctly. One screw was missing all together.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back