Stihl 010, given to me for free.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overtrained

Not crazy, Stoopid!
Reaction score
Got a old school stihl 010 from my father in laws brother. Its not yellow but free is free, ill post pics when im not drunk. I know nothing about stihl's but last i heard this one runs, we will see.:rock:

I got mine for free too! Hopefully yours runs better than mine. What size bar do you have right now? I'm running a 16 for extra reach while limbing. I notice that mine oils A LOT more than my other saws (362 and 019T).

Do you have a compression tester? I'm looking for a baseline on a good running 010, mine has 130 psi.

Don't expect it to cut fast, it is definitely a low-rpm saw compared to the new stuff.

Heres a short video, this thing is a turd! My mini macs out rev this thing. I dumped the old mix and added some fresh fuel mix. Everything looks to be intact, fuel lines look good, AF is newer, plug was changed at one point. It could use a new bar/chain, it may have trouble pulling anything more then a 12" with how much power it seems to have. It also could use the rubber vibration dampers in the handle.

YouTube - Stihl 010 AV idle and rev

Actually, if you getting it running correctly, you will probably like it a lot. I couldn't get your video link to work, but I can imagine how it may run.
a new carb kit, maybe an ignition trigger unit, if it has points, and you might really like it.

If you were to get it's bigger brother, the 012, you would really like it with a .325 chain.

Actually, if you getting it running correctly, you will probably like it a lot. I couldn't get your video link to work, but I can imagine how it may run.
a new carb kit, maybe an ignition trigger unit, if it has points, and you might really like it.

If you were to get it's bigger brother, the 012, you would really like it with a .325 chain.

It says "electronic" on the case so I'm assuming there is no points. Ill try and re-post the video and see if that helps.

Sounds kind of funny on the pto side, but it may just be my laptop speaker. Have you had the chain off and looked at the sprocket?

It bogs a bit on the low end but like i said, this is exactly how I got it, I just dumped the fuel and added fresh mix. I didn't want to rev the death out of it until I go through it a bit. (carb etc)

I can understand that. I'm willing to bet that after you run it a bit you will find that a little carb tuning is in order. While it is a 37 cc saw you should be able to run a 14" bar w/o any trouble.

Here's mine. Its not a speedster, but it runs well. RSC chain hand-filed. 16" bar.

[video=youtube;7p_IRkD9Ptg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_IRkD9Ptg&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Here's mine. Its not a speedster, but it runs well. RSC chain hand-filed. 16" bar.

[video=youtube;7p_IRkD9Ptg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p_IRkD9Ptg&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

rsc???? so it is .325?

Finally got around to looking at this thing, need the following parts if anyone has them

-clutch drum/sprocket (preferably with good roller bearings)
-every vibration isolator on the saw(can be used just no dry rot)
-fuel cap/plug
-16" bar, can be sprocket tip or hard nose
-new nut for the bar stud

The clutch is threaded onto the crankshaft. No nut. LH threads. There's an inexpensive tool that fits the clutch. If you haven't done so already, post up a request for the IPL and Workshop Manual in the "beg for manuals" thread. I'd send you them myself...............but my hundreds of IPL's and SM's are on my computer that crashed last month. Haven't recovered the data yet.

The 011AVEQ that I had ran a 16" B/C (3/8 LoPro) for me just fine (even when burried in oak). Not speedy, but a handy little bugger with good torque for the size. A good running Homelite Super E-Z Auto will kick it's butt though (as will a strong running Poulan S25-CVA). These are utility saws, so who cares which is faster? Of course I still have my S25's and Super E-Z's, and the 011 has been traded to a friend (who wanted a "non threatening" little saw to teach his son chainsaw skills with).

I've never ran an 010, so I don't know how much "weaker" it is with 4 less cc. I'm sure it's fine. Would like to run an 012 with .325" pitch chain someday. Some guys here crap on the 009-012 Stihls. I think they're Stihl's best effort in the "homeowner/farmer" class.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back