Stihl 011 avt white case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkron

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Stihl 011 avt white case - help

How old are the white case 011's I got one for 25$ and it was running at the time. I would have to feather it to get it up to higher RPMs. Then put my own gas in it that I use for my MS290...and it quit running. I downloaded the manual for the 011 and it said to NOT use high octane which is opposite of the what the local dealer says for the MS290. Odd. I've checked the obvious things like new spark plug and cleaned air filter. It had some compression based on it sucking my thumb. Any ideas? my next steps I think I'll try are in this order: new plug, try regular gas with exact mix stihl calls for and seeing if the dealer here will test the system for pressure, tweaking the carb settings and gas filter if the above does not work, carb kit?? But I'm just guessing since I don't have much experience with small engines lately. My last real experience was auto class in high school and rebulding a Johnson 2hp outboard in highschool. I graduated in 1992.

My major question for those of you who know anything about small engines like this stihl... What could cause a 2cycle to have to be feathered like that to get to higher RPMs. I've seen a number of outboards that do this too and it is sometimes the fuel pump??? I'm guessing it's either a fuel, carb or seal problem.

Does stihl still sell parts for this model?

Last edited:
your saw is from the early eighties. I would check fuel filter and clean the carb screen might as well clean the airfilter too. I think it isn't getting fuel could be a blockage in the highspeed carb circuit make sure the muffler is not full of carbon it might be blocked. You can get parts but I don't know if some are discontinued.

Last edited:
That's good advice from HuskyDave, it's probably a carb problem. While you're at it you might also check the impulse line and fuel line and make sure they're not rotten.

Dont spend to much time looking for the impulse line cause the 011 does not have one. It is reed plared and impluses through it. It does sound like the fuel line and the carb needs some attention. Be sure to also check the vent line which is next to the fuel line. They get brittle and break often. Good luck with your project.

Neat little saw.I've had one for awhile.Very reliable and setup right they start real easy.
A good friend has cut firewood with his for years till I let him use my 5100S.
Now he has a Dolmar in his stable.:biggrinbounce2:

If you need an IPL just PM your email to me.

Your getting some good advice above.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the advice. I took it to the local dealer and they tested the pressure. It was good. They gave it a quick look and said it's probalby the carb/gas filter/gas line since everything else they scanned didn't seem problematic. I'm impressed with the dealer. They only charged me a few bucks for the checkup time and at least now I know that I'm not going to spend $ on an overall bad saw. I'm orderning plug/carb kit/fuel filter/sprocket/air filter/ and a spark arrester (since it didn't have one). I'll have about 50-60$ into itbefore I'm done, including origninal aquisition. Not a bad price. I may ask some questions as I'm working on it after the new year when the parts arrive.

PS. After using a larger saw(Stihl290), this one will be my backup, trimmer, or the one I let my kid start with. It's nice to have a backup and smaller saw.

Darrin

Im working on a Stihl 011 avt for my uncle he said he thought it had a carb problem so i pull the air filter off and the impulse and fuel lines are rotten. The fuel line is no problem to figure out but that impulse line, what all is involved in replacing it ?

Welll......

I'm glad I told the local dealer to try to figure it out because I didn't think I would have time. They put on a new carb kit and checked all lines, looked a the piston and rings, pressure check, and then finally put on a different carb. They could not get it to work. So they paid me 35$ to use it for a parts saw after ordering about 40$ in other parts that didn't work out.. so I came out 10$ ahead. I'm glad I didn't try it as a novice. I kind of wanted to have a little backup/pruning saw though. I'll find a cheap one sometime.

Too bad it didn't work out for you...but it sounds like the dealer was super reasonable with you anyhow. I'm the proud owner of an 011 AVT myself that I use as a campsaw ;).

Make sure the spark plug wire isn't grounding out on the cylinder, I was fixing one up for my uncle and was having issues with a used plug then put the new plug in there and it would quit. I just happend to see it spark once when i glanced over it and move the wire. I got a peice of small rubber tubing and split it then put it over the wire and wrapped it with electrical tape. Works fine now.

Dont spend to much time looking for the impulse line cause the 011 does not have one. It is reed plared and impluses through it. It does sound like the fuel line and the carb needs some attention. Be sure to also check the vent line which is next to the fuel line. They get brittle and break often. Good luck with your project.

Good morning, I have a stihl 011 avt and my vent line is in fact broken at the point where it goes inside the saw. I have replaced the fuel line and filter as well as cleaning the carb and replacing the carb kit. While reinstalling i nudged the vent line it broke free. Where does this vent line go and would this cause the saw to die out and make it virtually impossible to adjust the carb properly? Thank you!

In the vent line you'll find a slug somewhere towards its end. Just replace the line with a suitable hose of the same size and push in the slug at the free end.
The free end is best routed to a high point next of the carb. This way there will be no leakage when the saw is tilted sideways for felling

Latest posts

Back