Stihl 011

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been tinkering with a Stihl 011AV, mostly putting in fuel lines and probably carb rebuild. My question is, on the vent hose is there supposed to be a duckbill valve? Mine doesn't have one, it's just a straight hose from the tank to a hole in the airbox. It seems to draw fuel in the other line ok.

Been tinkering with a Stihl 011AV, mostly putting in fuel lines and probably carb rebuild. My question is, on the vent hose is there supposed to be a duckbill valve? Mine doesn't have one, it's just a straight hose from the tank to a hole in the airbox. It seems to draw fuel in the other line ok.
I have never seen one with a DBV. If I'm thinking right the line goes down through a hole toward the clutch. There's a small metal cover and behind this there's a piece of foam that the line goes into.

I have never seen one with a DBV. If I'm thinking right the line goes down through a hole toward the clutch. There's a small metal cover and behind this there's a piece of foam that the line goes into.

That's the way this one goes..from a fitting that goes through the airbox to the gas tank and the other end goes down in that hole. I knew some Stihls used db valves so thought I'd check. Thanks

I put new fuel and vent lines in the saw yesterday. I think the carb kit is needing replaced and carb cleaned because the saw will hit a few times but will not continue to run. I thought all it needed was adjusting but that wasn't the problem. The carb is dirty on the outside and the airbox is dirty so I'm going to clean them out today.

I think I found at least part of the problem: I took the carburetor off the saw and started to clean the airbox, looked under the carb and there it was, broken reed valve. That stopped my progress for the day with that saw!

Ok, so in my 011 rebuilds (ive done two) the carbs where ok, but if you pull off the sides of the carb, one side will have a little mesh screen... clean it and try it... you'll probably be good...

As for the vent line, if you order the vent hose from the dealer, it comes as one piece: hose, screw, sponge, sponge retainer strap. its pretty cheap too.

Ok, so in my 011 rebuilds (ive done two) the carbs where ok, but if you pull off the sides of the carb, one side will have a little mesh screen... clean it and try it... you'll probably be good...

As for the vent line, if you order the vent hose from the dealer, it comes as one piece: hose, screw, sponge, sponge retainer strap. its pretty cheap too.

What's the screw for on the vent tube? You also mentioned dealers...are all the Stihl dealers as inept as the ones around here? I called two of them and wanted to inquire about a reed valve for my 011 and they acted like they didn't know what a reed valve was. One of them even asked me to spell reed valve!

Last edited:
The screw is Supposed to keep the gas from bleading out but let the fumes go... It doesnt work real well, but its there...

I am blessed with an AWSOME dealer just a mear 20 min from me, and If I walk in and tell him to pull up the IPL I can point to what I want worse case...

If you care, I think what your looking for is pn: 1120 120 4701 Diaphragm... I could be wrong....

The screw is Supposed to keep the gas from bleading out but let the fumes go... It doesnt work real well, but its there...

I am blessed with an AWSOME dealer just a mear 20 min from me, and If I walk in and tell him to pull up the IPL I can point to what I want worse case...

If you care, I think what your looking for is pn: 1120 120 4701 Diaphragm... I could be wrong....

I'll check out that part number and see what happens.

I called another dealer, used that part number and they ordered the part. Thank you! They called it an "inlet reed".

Well, the correct part came in, right before my neighbor came carrying one up to me. Darn! Oh, well, I guess I have a spare..The thing is, I cleaned out the airbox, installed the new fuel lines and the new reed valve, put the carb back on it and now it won't run as good as it did!!! I checked the spark, it was fine, fuel in the tank, seemed to have compression. I took the airbox top off and put a little fuel down in the carb and it still wouldn't fire. Basically, the only thing I did was clean it up a little and put a new reed valve in and now it's worse than it was. Any suggestions? I thought that if it had spark and compression it would at least pop if I put some fuel in the carb!

Well, the correct part came in, right before my neighbor came carrying one up to me. Darn! Oh, well, I guess I have a spare..The thing is, I cleaned out the airbox, installed the new fuel lines and the new reed valve, put the carb back on it and now it won't run as good as it did!!! I checked the spark, it was fine, fuel in the tank, seemed to have compression. I took the airbox top off and put a little fuel down in the carb and it still wouldn't fire. Basically, the only thing I did was clean it up a little and put a new reed valve in and now it's worse than it was. Any suggestions? I thought that if it had spark and compression it would at least pop if I put some fuel in the carb!

Ok, when you put the new reed valve on, was there a gasket? did you replace it, or reuse it, or is there one at all? Do you have a compression tester?

If there was one, how did it look, If there wasnt one, there is suposed to be, if you replaced it, are the screws tight enough, if you reused it, hmmm... still check the screws, it may need to replace the gasket...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back