Stihl 015 question: Clutch drum/Rim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just got a 015 into the shop and the owner wants to put 3/8LP on instead of that dreadful .25 pitch. I located a drum but looking at the saw (without removing the clutch drum). It appears that the worm gear for oiler needs to match the pin count of the sprocket...

IE a 3/8 6pin need a 6pin oiler/worm gear, 8pin .25 pitch needs a 8pin oiler/worm.

Am I right or wrong???

Sounds good to me. It looks like to me that the gear should be included with the drum if you buy it new and it has to mesh with the plastic gear. I changed my 028 over to 3/8 and everything was included in the drum kit. I bought my 028 used and someone had put a 3/8 bar and chain on it with a .325 sprocket..

I'll call Stihl today. I don't have an 015 IPL anyone got one or have the PN?

I'll call Stihl today. I don't have an 015 IPL anyone got one or have the PN?
Send me your email address on a PM and I'll send you the IPL. If I remember it right the big plastic gear is what meshes with the worm gear and it doesn't need replaced. It hooks onto your sprocket by a couple of lugs, I think. It's been awhile since I changed mine.

Last edited:
The drum and plastic oil pump drive worm gear need to be replaced together as the sprocket teeth must match the plastic drive thingy.

Eiklj is right the gears must be replaced as a set. I think they are NLA from Stihl and there are two different pumps if I remember correctly.

I sent my last set of matching sprocket/worm gear off to another guy needing one. I doubt I could dig up another one but I'll look.
Scott at Chainsawr. (site sponsor) might have one.

I sent my last set of matching sprocket/worm gear off to another guy needing one. I doubt I could dig up another one but I'll look.
Scott at Chainsawr. (site sponsor) might have one.
Thanks, Scott I have ordered from you guys a while back for my Dolmar 9010 parts. The guy owning the saw just wants to swap to anything but 1/4 pitch. I see the sprockets are available on Ebay but don't see them matched with the round plastic part.

I only have access to one IPL of a Stihl 015 and it doesn't show anything but one type of gear for that saw, I'm betting it's for a .325. You would probably have to get an aftermarket kit for a 3/8 sprocket.

The only two options I have seen on Ebay are 1/4 and 3/8 pitch...

Eiklj is right the gears must be replaced as a set. I think they are NLA from Stihl and there are two different pumps if I remember correctly.
Any chance you have something besides 1/4 hiding down across the creek at you place Jim?

Back