stihl 023 ring compressipn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkinthedark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok..... I've assembled many larger stihl saws and am kinda dumbfounded.... I went to compress the rings and install the cylinder to the crank case but quickly found out that my typical method of using ring compression clamps won't work on this 023 because of the style of the cylinder... I ended up breaking a ring so while I have it apart I'll just re ring it anyway... Someone who's familiar with the 021 023 025 Ms series is all the same also... Someone please chime in to how I compress the rings to get.them inside the cylinder!!!

I have found that it if you put the cylinder in a vice and drop the piston and crank in up side down it works the best. there is a small tapper to the cylinder and i just use my finger to help guide the rings in. Right or wrong it works for me:msp_thumbup:

I have found that it if you put the cylinder in a vice and drop the piston and crank in up side down it works the best. there is a small tapper to the cylinder and i just use my finger to help guide the rings in. Right or wrong it works for me:msp_thumbup:

I do it about the same. The biggest problem I have is to keep the ends on the pin. I usually wedge a hard piece of plastic on one ring end to hold it in place and work it in with another piece. Usually takes a couple of tries. The second ring goes in easier.

Fingers and gentle twisting. Upside down works the best. Won't fit into cylinder if the rings aren't on the pins right.

BTW, I have a clean OEM 025 cylinder if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back