Stihl 024 to become an 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcommercial

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got an 024 Stihl with a burnt top end that's been parted down a-ways. I know the 024 & 026 Stihls are real similar. Question is, will I need to change anything other than the crank & connecting rod, piston, and cylinder out on this to bring it back as an 026? Any and all advice is/are welcome!

Thanks

I could be wrong but my guess is that an 026 crank would not fit in an 024 case. The longer stroke would translate into larger diameter crank journals.

There might be an aftermarket big bore kit though. The 024 lived on as an ms240 in other markets long after it was discontinued here.

Depending on which 024 and which 026 you want to install you may or may not be able to do it. I can't remember the limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on which 024 and which 026 you want to install you may or may not be able to do it. I can't remember the limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 024 Super does have the same bottom end including the crank assy as the 026. The only difference is the cyl bore. The standard 024 has a shorter stroke and smaller bore.

If he has an 024 Super he can simply put an 026 cylinder and piston on it and have an 026. If he has the standard 024 he can not.

Since he mentioned changing the crank I assumed he had the standard 024. If that's not the case I apologize.

Yeah, the saw is just an 024 av wb. Far as I know it's not a super. There is, however another guy on here that says the 024 & 026 cases are the same? I don't know, from what you fellas have said already I may just re-do it as an 024avwb and a full chisel chain with decent used bar off eBay. Looking to get this all done for less than $200 doing it all myself.

024 and 026 cases are the same with exception of early 024 came with a front tension screw. You will need to change crankshaft, piston, rod, and af/ engine covers. Or ground the fins down from top of the head and keep original covers.
I would suggest you to change all lines, seals, (everything rubber/ plastic) and bearings while you at it. Good luck in your built.

Old Thread i know but i ran into this same issue except the chain tensioning screw is in the front. Wasn’t sure if the 026 had the old style crankcase like the 024 did. one crank half is 0701. i installed a 44mm piston with an oem 024 ks cylinder my piston was getting hung up wouldn’t make a full revolution. If the Stroke is different this makes sense l

Latest posts

Back