Stihl 025 vent line fuel leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lite69318

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning all, I have a Stihl chainsaw model 025 that I just replaced the vent line on the gas tank when I start the chainsaw and try to rev it up to cut wood I start getting fuel pressuring up the vent line and leaking out and the chainsaw is acting like the choke is on. Just seeing if anyone has experienced the same thing and might have a suggestion for a fix on this problem.

The vent line is symmetrical it's the same on both ends flipping it over won't do any good. The fuel feed line from the tank is a black rubberized line that comes up to the side of the carburetor. The fuel line from the tank looks intact.

The insert on the top looks like it is farther in the fuel line, and might allow the fuel line to go down farther on the nipple.
Which is why I asked where the fuel was leaking from.

I am guessing that you have a severely cracked fuel line. Try bending the line with your fingers and looking.
Take a pic.

But I am just making an "educated" guess, assuming a lot, and why I always ask questions, and request pics.
Most guys here just blurt out "Replace the crankcase seals"!!!!

But I am guessing that you had a leak, had a crumbling vent, and the saw ran like ****. You replaced the vent, it still leaks, and still runs like ****.....

Being an 025, it means that the saw is real old, and the fuel lines on that series of saw was/is notorious from cracks between the tank and carb, but to see the cracks you need to bend the line, and the cracks really open up. Also, the part that dangles in the fuel can get real soft, weak, and gummy, and be a big problem there as well.

Looked at the fuel line and it looks fine, I took the carb off and cleaned it out, put it back together and nothing has changed. Very frustrating .

What work have you done? Your first pics show it with the carb off already. Did you replace something recently? What led up to the saw not running correctly? Not just the replacement of the vent?

If you have a pressure/vacuum pump, you can check the fuel line by pulling the line out of the tank with a hook, plugging that end, and putting pressure (and vacuum) on the other end and see if it holds. Bend it around while the gauge is on it to bring out any small cracks. Also try twisting it where it goes into the tank - should be snug and not able to be moved easily.

The vent line is symmetrical it's the same on both ends flipping it over won't do any good. The fuel feed line from the tank is a black rubberized line that comes up to the side of the carburetor. The fuel line from the tank looks intact.
It doesn't look symmetrical in the pic.
Do you mind taking it off and posting a pic.
Either way the top grubb screw should be almost even with the top of the hose. Bottom grub screw doesn't look high enough.
Not sure if that would make
a difference or not.
The OEM Stihl vent is about the same price as that aftermarket one you bought.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was just wondering if the vent line needed pushed on the nipple further. Either way, he could just push them in a bit more with a small screwdriver, as their placement is not critical. I am curious where this fuel is leaking from, as that would probably tell us something.
His running problem isn't the vent though, well that could be easily tested. Just take it off, and start it.

Ok, so originally the saw started acting up wanting to stall while cutting. When I took the back cover off i noticed the missing vent line. I ordered the new line put it on and it didn't fix the problem. So yesterday I took the carb off to see if it might be dirty inside. Took out the diaphram and needle also took off the bottom cover sprayed it out with carb cleaner and put it back together, re-installed and tested it, same symptoms are present. Idles just fine but when i try to throttle up it acts like it has been put in full choke position. The fuel was bubbling up inside the new vent line and coming out the top. Up till now this saw has never had to be worked on and it is anout 20 years old, so I have been fortunate up to now.

Back