Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayskye2000

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I told ya'll a few weeks ago that I had a line on a next to new 025. Well, I finaly got the thing for $130. Has only cut one cord of wood! It has the factory bar and chain on it yet, and the chains never been filed that I can tell. It's got a 14" on it now, but I think I'm going to step up to a 16". I would be greatful for info on how to do the muffler mods that I hear ya'll talk about, as I'm one of those freaks that can't get enough power, never satisfied! I'll get ya some pics soon, just the way I got it. No wipe downs or cleaning yet. I can't wait to get to the woods and rip some fire wood to see how it compares to my trusty Echo400EVL.:D

If it has a "14 chain, then it must have the 3/8 lo pro on it, so you should switch it to a .325 RS. You will have to change sprockets, so you should
get the rim sprocket system. You will like the difference.

Woundn't the 3/8s lo pro be faster then the .325 rs? My ms 170 is fast as crap with the little chain on it. I think it comes off easier then other chain does but that could just be me.

Not sure about the chain, as I'm not familier with Stihl. But I took it to a good saw man, and asked him to sharpen the original, and make a new pro chain. I never give it a thought about low pro! What do ya expect from a weekend firewood hacker! If it runs and cuts nice chips, I use it. If it makes dust, I file a little on my own, and if all else fails, take it to a pro.

Yeah I bet it would be a light saber with 3/8 Picco pro chain....but I still like teh full chisel stuff, and I run myine with 18" Stihl RS or Oregon LG chain, just before I sent it to Lakeside I had a Carlton Magna Chisel chain on it, and it worked great.
J.D.

Diesel JD said:
Yeah I bet it would be a light saber with 3/8 Picco pro chain....but I still like teh full chisel stuff, and I run myine with 18" Stihl RS or Oregon LG chain, just before I sent it to Lakeside I had a Carlton Magna Chisel chain on it, and it worked great.
J.D.

I'll grind all the cutters backwards before it goes back :D

Back