Stihl 026/260 AM cylinder comparison - stock build - ported build - videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some things are on a "need to know basis"...... and she don't need to know!

Ole' lady found a substantial receipt for "accessories" from a local OPE shop with the taxes. You'd have thought it was for a hotel room and prophylactics from her line of questioning. After 'splaining it I tossed a few more logs in the fire.

I came home with three saws, three blowers and seven trimmers yesterday..She stares. I said I get one anything running and sell it, the rest are free. She goes "OK".

Ok so I just went back and updated the initial posts at the beginning of the thread. Substantial changes to the combustion chamber area were made to address squish, how to measure it, and how to improve compression of this kit. The same principles can be used elsewhere on other saws though.

which saw are you asking about; the ones in the first movie?

You can tell the saw is chattering from an aggressive chain that has the rakers to low. Watch the bar and it will start to jump and chatter in the cut changing the load on the saw. A new chain with smooth cuts would show better.

And to answer your question: I rebuilt the whole bottom end with new oil seals and new fuel lines so Justin had a good base saw to port from and yes I pressure and vac tested to 20psi and has to hold for 10-15seconds solid before it leaves the shop.

I tried the Hyway 026 BB, even with caber rings the compression was poor @ 120 lbs. It ran like a dog. I cleaned up the original 44mm Mahle and put it back on and it generated 160psi and rips in comparison.

I'm not the chainsaw authority or anything and have not rebuilt near as many saws as a lot of you, however, I will NOT use an AM cylinder on 026/260's anymore. Of the ones I have tried, They all ran like dogs. This is from a bolt on, no grinding perspective. I've done just as many acid cleanup and new piston/rings (meteor or OEM) and they all run far superior. With that said, I have used HYWAY and NWP on bigger saws with good results. I just think on the 026/260 platform in particular, the slightest changes cause them to run poorly and they dont lend well to Am cylinders.

-AJ

Not every aftermarket cylinder kit is created equal. Their attempt to copy an OEM cylinder can be off and as history has proven... they vary in quality, finish and power.

Just because Meteor has a good reputation doesn't mean that their kit may perform better than any other kit, your skill level applies here for sure. If you can fix small imperfections, then a good quality plated kit may be the answer for you. Fix the port timing and bevel's on those ports, great kit.... but if your a bolt and go guy... pass on the kits requiring a little work to the opening, go for a direct bolt on, like OEM... it's safe, however, there are a lot of guys who can't afford that route and why reporting is crucial.

The Hyway 026 kit offers great plating in this model, decent numbers for timing and compression. They have the highest silica % Nikasil coating material of any cylinder manufacturer, baked at 1200* for 45 minutes and plating that goes into the combustion chamber. And as proven here, needed a little port timing help to be a great cylinder. If you don't think this is for you, so be it.

Most of the aftermarket cylinders seem to have slightly lower numbers for compression... possibly for the variation in octane of fuel or additives they use around the world... we are not the only country buying cylinders or influencing the market.

Both these guys did a great job reporting their findings.... They we not looking for a bolt and go kit. If you are looking for that bolt and go kit... the Tecomec 026 kit is that kit. If your looking to save a few bucks on the rebuild and don't mind checking the cylinder for fit and finish, adjust the port bevel if required, remove the gasket after testing the squish or just need a kit to cut some wood with and don't mind expending a little effort during the rebuild...

This is a good kit. Thanks again guys, very nice job!

Randy

Bump for an update on these kits.
Has anyone got any new information or details about longevity of these kits?

Back