Stihl 026 and 260 Won't Run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverb01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 260pro would not start. I pulled the carb and found sawdust inside. I rebuilt the carb and changed the filter. The saw started and I cut some firewood with it for about 45 min. then the saw started to bog out at idle. I increased the idle set screw and cut some more until the same thing happened. Once again I adjusted the idle screw and the saw ran fine for a short time until this time it cut off and would not restart. I adjusted the carb and the saw started, but will only run for about 5-10 seconds before bogging out. It will restart, but will not stay running. I also have a much older 026 that has gone the same route....exactly! The carb on the 026 was packed with sawdust :mad2: but a carb rebuild got it running again until it did the exact same thing as the 260! WTF?
Someone said something about a pulse line? Not sure what that is or where that is on the saw. I have another saw for cutting my firewood but hate having any of my saws not in working order. I do not take any of my s@#* to a shop where you have to bend over to pay the bill! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Happy turkey day to all!

Beaver

My 260pro would not start. I pulled the carb and found sawdust inside. I rebuilt the carb and changed the filter. The saw started and I cut some firewood with it for about 45 min. then the saw started to bog out at idle. I increased the idle set screw and cut some more until the same thing happened. Once again I adjusted the idle screw and the saw ran fine for a short time until this time it cut off and would not restart. I adjusted the carb and the saw started, but will only run for about 5-10 seconds before bogging out. It will restart, but will not stay running. I also have a much older 026 that has gone the same route....exactly! The carb on the 026 was packed with sawdust :mad2: but a carb rebuild got it running again until it did the exact same thing as the 260! WTF?
Someone said something about a pulse line? Not sure what that is or where that is on the saw. I have another saw for cutting my firewood but hate having any of my saws not in working order. I do not take any of my s@#* to a shop where you have to bend over to pay the bill! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Happy turkey day to all!

Beaver

Probably still have some debris in the carb. Did you remove the tiny jet and make sure its not plugged? Sounds like its still sucking some sawdust thru it.

Also, pull the muffler and check for any cylinder damage from the sawdust. Hopefully it's clean. Wouldn't hurt to do a compression reading either. See if those rings can still hold pressure against the cylinder. Make sure there's no damage from the sawdust, then move from there backwards toward the carb.

Also, pull the muffler and check for any cylinder damage from the sawdust. Hopefully it's clean. Wouldn't hurt to do a compression reading either. See if those rings can still hold pressure against the cylinder. Make sure there's no damage from the sawdust, then move from there backwards toward the carb.

Trash in the carb seems to be the general consensus, but makes sense that there could be some cylinder damage too (hope not) What kind of compression reading should I see? 50#?

Thanks for your help, Mike

Beaver

Trash in the carb seems to be the general consensus, but makes sense that there could be some cylinder damage too (hope not) What kind of compression reading should I see? 50#?

Thanks for your help, Mike

Beaver

Hopefully add 100 to that, good compression on a 026 should be in the 150 range.

I do not take any of my s@#* to a shop where you have to bend over to pay the bill! Any ideas would be appreciated.

I will be glad to echo what the other guys are saying as far as probable fuel delivery issues. For the record, if you had taken it to a good shop, you would be "bending over" to pick up wood right now. Not all shops are equal. Part of what you are paying for at the good shop is the expertise gained over hundreds of repairs to quickly and efficiently find and fix what ails your saw. For example: If you brought it to MY shop and it had compression and spark, I would then look at the fuel line (two different ones for 1121 saws, but all 260's use the same one,) filter, and the carb. If that did not fix it I would then pressure test it and look closely at the impulse line (yes, I even know where and what it is) and FW side crank seal. Those items have been known to fail more often on 1121 saws based on my experience.

If the top end is still good in your saw and you end up lean seizing it while repairing it yourself, how much have you saved? The spirit of this place is DIY saw repair, and I think it is great that you are trying. Please don't be so quick to trash the dealers. If you had taken in the old 026, you may never have had to buy that 260 PRO.

I will be glad to echo what the other guys are saying as far as probable fuel delivery issues. For the record, if you had taken it to a good shop, you would be "bending over" to pick up wood right now. Not all shops are equal. Part of what you are paying for at the good shop is the expertise gained over hundreds of repairs to quickly and efficiently find and fix what ails your saw. For example: If you brought it to MY shop and it had compression and spark, I would then look at the fuel line (two different ones for 1121 saws, but all 260's use the same one,) filter, and the carb. If that did not fix it I would then pressure test it and look closely at the impulse line (yes, I even know where and what it is) and FW side crank seal. Those items have been known to fail more often on 1121 saws based on my experience.

If the top end is still good in your saw and you end up lean seizing it while repairing it yourself, how much have you saved? The spirit of this place is DIY saw repair, and I think it is great that you are trying. Please don't be so quick to trash the dealers. If you had taken in the old 026, you may never have had to buy that 260 PRO.

You might be the exception. I owned and operated a tree business, currently own 8 different saws and have never taken any of them to a shop. Made many repairs myself, sucessfully. I'll figure this out with or without your help. By the way, my wood is already cut and stacked for this winter and started for next. I won't be bending over at all!

Back