Stihl 026 project saw(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve3800

steve3800

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks Lakeside and PES +

This is my first talk or whatever you call it on this wonderful site. I am not much for chatter online since I have to hunt a peck with the keyboard but I have spent numerous hours extracted awesome information from the likes of Lakeside, PES+ and many others, thank you guys. This post got me going to punch on some keys. I completed my first cylinder work on a stihl 026 with PES+ approach before I even knew you had a post one the subject and titled 026 project. I ending up with 155 pounds compression and still held after many running session, since I found out the fuel line was culprit which caused the saw to run lean for previous owner. Aluminum all over the place on exhaust side, sanded it down very cautiously and after coming back third time and a total of 3 hours, most looking and pondering if I was was a goof or not attempting it. Seems with that kind of compression I most likely ended up with no low spots from sanding, might I be correct ? About 20 minutes operating so far and compresssion holds at 155. I have completed 18 saw project and 6 tabled for later due to things I dont want to get into until next winter. A couple of those are cylinder jobs, but I couldnt help tackling this one. It was dead what did I have to lose. Plus I love operating outside the box on some things.

steve3800

steve3800

ArboristSite Lurker
New user, I ran out of space typing before I delivered the real BS

On last reply to post it seems I was limited, so heres more. I have been doing this work on projects saw over the last 3 months, the last one fired up last night is the 026 withe cylinder work by hand sanding. Like I said, alot of thanks to Lakeside and many others, I have takin his advice on many things and plowed ahead with much success. Periodically I love going outside the box. My brother in law was Jay Brownings top faller tell he retired and headed to his shop due to body falling apart. Jay is one of the logging owners featured in THE AXE MAN ( series on the history channel covering northwest logging operators. My brother in law did all of his saw work, he has been giving me many tips when he is available, on the cylinder work he has always done it Lakeside way. I wanted to jump outside this time and with 155 pounds of compression, I dont think I would have any low spots. Am I thinking right here?
Havent stuck it in wood yet, thats always the best test for me. All other project that turn out that much compression with carb set good eat up wood very well. Hey, thats to all you guys, this really is a mans world, crazy guys dinking with saws. Love it

steve3800

steve3800

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks Lakeside

Holly crap, I finally jumped in and actually got a response from one on my many mentors when it comes to this saw work. I have silently been working many hours with your knowledge, my brother in law's and many others here. But Lake I see you all over the place and your volume has really help. I think I have the saw bug. My advice to any novices reading at this site, please thank these guys. Walk away from the work area with that bear on the table and get mushy every now and then and thank these guys.

steve3800

steve3800

ArboristSite Lurker
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Lakeside, I love all you top dogs quotes. No bull , my great great grandfather was John Muir the famous one from Canada ( its his birthday today). He is famous for his environmentist stuff , me , I love cuttin wood so it can get in a stove and make some carbon so we can feed the trees and others plants. I am on a mission to counter Al you know who. New age stuff, I am a true steward of the land, keep those saws healthy and cuts some wood (the trees and plants need it) and its keeps your butt warm.

steve3800

steve3800

ArboristSite Lurker
Hopefully I am not being a pain filling up space

I am glad I jumped in and added a little input. Now after all this time of grabbing the awesome tips and running with it to the work table, I wish some of you guys were a bit closer to really pick your brains, wish I wasnt so darn slow typing. I am feeling pretty good after an extra work table beverage, its a great feeling to get another wonderful beast back into shape. Lakeside, next to you I have seen volumes of that guy that holds a mug in front of his mug on his profile pictures. I really like his tips also and great spirit like you about lovin the desease. Whats his profile name? I want to thank him also, great stuff. Forgive my typo errors