Stihl 026 vs. Husq 350/351 vs. Makita DCS540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new chain saw for occassional felling but mainly pruning around the farm. (I have a Makita DCS401 at the cabin that's been a great saw, but for felling I'm looking for a little more oomph and a little longer bar).

I want:
- approx. 50 CC
- 18" bar
- less than 11 lbs
- Adjustable oiler
- An all around good performing saw
- $300-$400 budget

I've had good past experience with Makita (Dolmar Sachs) and a poor experinece with Stihl (021). Based on that I'm leaning towards the Makita DCS540. I might give Stihl under chance and have never used a Husky.

Which of these saws would you recommend and why?

Don't know the other brands, but in my worldly opinion, the only Stihl saws that are worth buying are the commercial models. (I believe the same can be said for the other manufacturers, as they all make homeowner models with less durability and performance, though the cc's appear competative or even greater).

020, 026, 036, 044, 066 and beyond are Stihl's commercial saws. Can't go wrong with these saws. Don't get steered into an 025, 029, 034, 039 etc as they are inferior to the above IMHO.

I have to recommend the Husqvarna 55. It is more durable in my opinion than the 350/351 and near the same weight. I have a 20" on mine and it has plenty of power to handle it, and best of all one can be yours for $300.

I have to agree with John on this one. With approx 15 yrs experience running saws of all shapes and sizes, I would buy a Stihl 024 or 026 for the needs you describe. Typically with Stihl, odd numbers are 'homeowner' saws with inferior air filters and other components. I had several 024's, 025's, and 026's over the years. The 025's were garbage but the 024-026's lasted forever with more power.

Husky 350/351 are nice saws, but not pro saws. They only have one ring, meaning less longevity, likely. Plus less power. The 346XP, however, at about 4 cc less than the 026, and same weight, is a better saw, IMO.

When my last 026 gave up, I went to 036's, much more power for only 1.5 pounds more. In commercial arboriculture, I have found less use for the 3 cube saws, preferring smaller climbing saws, then switching to sws with real power.

3 cube saws are great for most casual use. And pro models will outcut and outlast most homeowner models.

I would throw my vote for the 026 also and agree with HUSKYMAN on the 55 over the 351. The 026 is on the high end to you budget and the 55 on the low end. Both are excellent. The makita is a sachs-dolmar and is decent but wouldnt spend my money in that direction.
Darin

I'm looking for a new chain saw for occassional felling but mainly pruning around the farm. (I have a Makita DCS401 at the cabin that's been a great saw, but for felling I'm looking for a little more oomph and a little longer bar).

I want:
- approx. 50 CC
- 18" bar
- less than 11 lbs
- Adjustable oiler
- An all around good performing saw
- $300-$400 budget

I've had good past experience with Makita (Dolmar Sachs) and a poor experinece with Stihl (021). Based on that I'm leaning towards the Makita DCS540. I might give Stihl under chance and have never used a Husky.

Which of these saws would you recommend and why?

Pioneerguy600's 026 are the very best saws in the entire Country IMHO! He's been working on chainsaws since the age of 5 years old! If you want a rock solid chainsaw under 10 lbs that will cut anything under 14"s across with authority, his 026's are your saw!!
I have one and it is Amazing!!! Get a truck load with it in 15 minutes!!

Back