STIHL 028 44mm (not Super) muffler mod ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abl1111

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did a search and found a lot of information about muffler mods with the Stihl 028 Super... But, with the Stihl 44 - not so much...

I have a Stihl 028 w/ the 44mm piston. Anybody have advice on modifying this muffler ?

- Is it worth it in terms of power ? If so - step-by-step directions would be great...

- Pix would be the most helpful.

I'm a weekend warrior, but want the most out of this 'lil bugger.

Note:

- Swapping to a 46mm not an option right now...
- Already tweaked the squish...( thanks to everyone on this site who has helped me ! )

Thanks...

There 2 types of mufflers. Earlier type is 3 piece, exhaust exits the front. They aren't very restrive. Later type exits the side and is more restrictive.

I have a (3) part muffler; one pc that bolts to the cylinder a middle pc and the outside pc.

Anything worth doing ??

Is it possible to use a Stihl 028 (44mm) stock muffler that bolts to the cylinder and add to that a 028 SUPER muffler front ?

I'd like the exhaust to go to the side, like a SUPER, as opposed to out the bottom, like mine. And, I think I can modify this combination better.

What say the pros ?

Do-able ?
Worth doing ?

This is how I did mine with the newer style muffler.....

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4110.jpg

It pulls really good ......I definitely got a performance gain out of it!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhbwW7zj0BQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhbwW7zj0BQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is it possible to use a Stihl 028 (44mm) stock muffler that bolts to the cylinder and add to that a 028 SUPER muffler front ?

I'd like the exhaust to go to the side, like a SUPER, as opposed to out the bottom, like mine. And, I think I can modify this combination better.

What say the pros ?

Do-able ?
Worth doing ?

On my woodboss 028 with the 3 part muffler I took it apart, and cut out the entire shroud behind the spark arrestor. Then I drilled 4 3/8 holes into the "cage" where the exhaust first enters the muffler from the cylinder. All I can say is WOW it's like it's a 55cc saw!!! HA :chainsaw:
Warning tho, you're gonna need ear protection afterwards. I can't run it without now.

Can I use a Stihl 028 - 44mm muffler bolted to the cylinder and couple it w/ the exterior part of a Stihl Super 46mm muffler ?

I'd like the side exhaust of a SUPER but am stuck w/ the 44mm muffler to cylinder set-up. And, I don't weld...

Or, what is mod that can be made for a muffler used in a residential neigborhood - i.e. ear plugs an option, not mandatory :)

Latest posts

Back