stihl 028 av 48mm piston?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjones191

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hello all first post here any help appreciated!
I recently purchased a stihl 028 av electric stop with a worn piston. I tore it apart to see weather it was a 44mm or 46mm piston but its actually a 48mm. I did a little research and am guessing it must have a ms360 cylinder and piston? It has stihl printed on the cylinder so i presume its an original, The cylinder has some scoring under the exhaust port would this be safe to put a new piston in? Thanks in advance for any help

Thanks for the replys...I didn't try run as was told it was worn good compression in the pull tho. So would any stihl 48mm piston fit? The piston and rings look good apart from the soring. The cylinder also has Stihl 1118 stamped on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    913.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 42
hello all first post here any help appreciated!
I recently purchased a stihl 028 av electric stop with a worn piston. I tore it apart to see weather it was a 44mm or 46mm piston but its actually a 48mm. I did a little research and am guessing it must have a ms360 cylinder and piston? It has stihl printed on the cylinder so i presume its an original, The cylinder has some scoring under the exhaust port would this be safe to put a new piston in? Thanks in advance for any help

The 028 and 038 cylinder will have a screw hole in the clutch side for the cylinder top cover. The 036 cylinder will not have that hole.
The 028 originally came in three bore sizes 42,44 and 46mm.
Check your measurements on the bore again and make sure your at 48mm.
It is possible to install an 038 cylinder on the 028. I have and a few others have done it.
I have never tried an 036 cylinder on a 028.
Can you give us a picture of the cylinder. The cooling fins are completely different on the 028 and the 036.
Later
Dan

You posted a few pictures while I was typing.
jughead500 is correct. Measure your bore again.

Later
Dan

by the pop up I can tell you it is 46mm and you will want to clean that cylinder or the new piston will look like that too.

Dan, which 038 jug did you use. was it hard to do. did it come out with funky porting numbers? how did the saw run? The base must have been real tight.

David

by the pop up I can tell you it is 46mm and you will want to clean that cylinder or the new piston will look like that too.

Dan, which 038 jug did you use. was it hard to do. did it come out with funky porting numbers? how did the saw run? The base must have been real tight.

David

I used the 038 super with the 50mm bore. You will need a piston with a pin size of the 028 rod. I used an 044 piston with the 10mm pin.
It made a lot of torque, not many rpm's.

Later
Dan

Sweet!

did you use the 038 carb and muffler?

That is a neat combo, I may fool with it. I have 2 028's and they don't sell for much so might as well hack one up.

One of the 028's doesnt oil well from what I have seen the pump gears look good and the oil pick up is built into the case. Any other ideas?

I used the 038 super with the 50mm bore. You will need a piston with a pin size of the 028 rod. I used an 044 piston with the 10mm pin.
It made a lot of torque, not many rpm's.

Later
Dan
Can you explain that? Or offer possible reasons as to why it was torquey and not many rpms? Seems backwards.

Not with it lately read the callipers wrong! it is a 46mm thanks for all the help...how would i go about cleaning the cylinder really fine wet sandpaper? Also there is a hole in the exhaust does anyone know anywhere to get one in the uk? tks

Not with it lately read the callipers wrong! it is a 46mm thanks for all the help...how would i go about cleaning the cylinder really fine wet sandpaper? tks

in short yes. there are videos about clean up with the abrasive on a mandrel but I have done it by hand many times. you can start with surprisingly coarse grit like 150 and then move up. I like using a light oil.

Sweet!

did you use the 038 carb and muffler?

That is a neat combo, I may fool with it. I have 2 028's and they don't sell for much so might as well hack one up.

One of the 028's doesnt oil well from what I have seen the pump gears look good and the oil pick up is built into the case. Any other ideas?

I used the 044 carb. I dont remember what muffler I used but I can remember I had to cut the muffler inlet and weld it back in. The angle was way off.

I am getting old and I did that over 12 years ago.

If your oil hole in your case is not blocked, try another pump.

Later
Dan

346357cly.jpg 346flywheel.jpg 346rightcoveron.jpg 346muffler.jpg 346leftcoveron.jpg 346frontcoveron.jpg
Can you explain that? Or offer possible reasons as to why it was torquey and not many rpms? Seems backwards.

You would think that with the shorter stroke it would turn at a higher rpm but that didn't happen. I had the same thing happen with my 346 that I grafted a 357 cylinder on.
I liked that saw but unfortunately is was stolen a few years ago.

The most common problem when increasing cylinder cc`s is that the crankcase volume is not great enough to feed the combustion chamber so some work on the transfers and raising the transfer ports help it in this situation.

Would 029 46mm Pistons and 028 46mm Pistons be interchangeable as I can get an 029 one cheaper? Tks

Back