Stihl 028 Carbvretor Settings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonym

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, my old 028 is having a few issues that I think are carburetor-related. To fix it or eliminate this possibility, I'd like to adjust the carburetor, but I'm quite the dummy when it comes to carb adjustments! Does anyone have the basic settings to get me close (H, L, and top screw?)? I can get it to start and idle, but she won't smooth out and get up to full speed on the top end. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Anonym

Rich or Lean

It would be nice if you could be around someone to adjust your saw a little and show you what rich and lean sounds like.

Then have you you turn the screws yourself so you know how much to turn them. Maybe turn the screws yourself and see what it sounds like? That's what I did many years ago.

1 1/4 out for each screw should get you saw running but from there you have to actually tune it.

I like to have the high speed showing signs of being rich before the cut.

The low speed should be as lean as possible and still accelerate from idle. But then if the saw wants to slow down on you after idling for a few seconds, I open the low speed needle about 1/8 turn and then see how it does.

Thanks, guys! Ended up downloading the manual from the Stihl website and got the 1 1/4 settings from there. It still didn't run smooth, so I replaced the plug with one from my trimmer (who is also having issues) and it helped some. I think I'm going to grab a new plug and see if that cures it (been sitting all winter and the plug is old), then move on into the ignition area. :msp_wink:

On a side note, this is my back-up saw to an 028 Super. I'm thinking about getting rid of this one and trying to pick up a smaller/lighter saw in the 024, 025, 026 range. Smart move or not?

It does. It's an oldie with the solid hand guard, no chain break, and black painted handle bar. Been thinking about upgrading it but it's just been a back-up saw anyway.

There was just a splash of old fuel in the tank from last year. Filled it up with fresh that I just mixed last weekend. Fuel is good as it ran fine in my other 028.

It does. It's an oldie with the solid hand guard, no chain break, and black painted handle bar. Been thinking about upgrading it but it's just been a back-up saw anyway.

If it were mine, I would

- Rebuild the carb ($7 to $10)
- New fuel / impulse lines ($15 to $20 for both)
- upgrade the coil as Fish is hinting to ($25 to $35)

With a few $$ and help from this site, you could have a top quality back up saw that will last another life time...:)

Well, when I got it about 2-3 years ago, it was not running right and my local Stihl dealer went through it and got it running again. Part of that work was a carb rebuild and new fuel/impulse lines, so hopefully they are still in order. Upgrading to electronic ignition does sound like a great thing to do. Anybody got a list of parts needed to do this?

Picked up a new plug on the way home last night, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Hope I get a few minutes tonight...

Digging up an older thread, but just to follow up, I finally got around to picking up a coil off of fleabay. I'm hoping it was only the coil that went bad as it was sort-of running before when I was asking about carb settings, but checked it later and was getting zero spark. Keep your fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back