Stihl 028 Oil Pump Body

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was using my dad's 028 this weekend and noticed that it was only using about a third of a tank of bar oil to a tank of gas. Looked around online and learned how to take things apart on the saw. The plastic gear inside the pump body has several stripped teeth. From what I understand this is less common than the plastic gear that drives the pump stripping.

Can I get just the gear (I think it is called the Pump Piston) that fits inside the pump body? Or does it only come as an assembly?

If it is possible to just get the pump piston, can someone tell me how to remove it? It looks like there is a blind pin that holds it in.

The large gear on the pump will spin out while pulling. Kinda loosen and pull at same time,should pop right off. Look on eBay for the gear or maybe someone here has one. If it's the worm gear in the pump that is stripped,I'd just find a used pump and replace. Rather than fighting the worm gear.

The large gear on the pump will spin out while pulling. Kinda loosen and pull at same time,should pop right off. Look on eBay for the gear or maybe someone here has one. If it's the worm gear in the pump that is stripped,I'd just find a used pump and replace. Rather than fighting the worm gear.
You need to spin the pump gear clockwise while gently lifting.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Make sure you get the right pump. Should be a part# on it. There are at least 3 different pump and drive gear combos depending on the exact 028 you have.

That's based on my experience with 4 or 5 different 028's. I should qualify my statement to read "I believe there are 3 different pump/gear combos." I don't have access to Stihl parts manuals to verify this.

Latest posts

Back