Stihl 028 Rebuild/ refurb. info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windyhill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had this Stihl 028 AV Super (electric quickstop) for probably 25 years. It was my fist saw and I recently dug it out of the shop after years of sitting. I'd like to fix it up. Is this still a good saw and worth putting money into? I've always like the saw.

With a new plug and fuel now it starts after about 12 pulls. It seams to run ok, but idles a bit high and chain keeps spinning. I adjusted the low idle some (clockwise and it seams to chain stopped mostly but it seems to almost stall or stall now. it seems to have ok power and doesn't bog with a quick test cut.
I screwed a compression tester in and pulled it through a few times and I get 148 psi. and it held for 5 min or so. Good? What should the compression be?
I've never pulled a saw apart myself. What would you guys suggest to refurbish and make it a good reliable saw again? Where's the best place to order a air filter, fuel filter etc. (which I assume is the place to start).
Are there things to watch out for on an 028? Thanks.

The 028 is one of the best! I'd start with a pressure/vac test just to be safe. Then replace fuel filter, fuel line,impulse line, new carb kit. Then you will be set for years of enjoyment with your saw.

The old fuel filters came with a foam insert, which after 30 years or so, starts breaking apart. And the resultant
crud builds up in the carb, so a new fuel filter and complete carb rebuild is the first thing, and the fuel and impulse lines should be closely looked at as well.

Thanks for the replays. Is the impulse line a pain to replace? Where's a good place to buy parts?

Update: dug into the saw tonight pulled it all apart, cleaned it up, rebuilt carb. replaced air filter, fuel line and filter, impulse line, lubed up the spring for the pull cord. A few slight cab adjustments and saw runs like new!:dancing:
Huge thanks to the helpful folks on here! I've never messed with a saw but thanks to the info on here I now have my old friend up and running again. It's probably been 6-10 years since I really used it. Guy at saw shop told me last year it was junk and not worth fixing, thank goodness I found you guys! :cheers: I really do love this little saw!

Update: dug into the saw tonight pulled it all apart, cleaned it up, rebuilt carb. replaced air filter, fuel line and filter, impulse line, lubed up the spring for the pull cord. A few slight cab adjustments and saw runs like new!:dancing:
Huge thanks to the helpful folks on here! I've never messed with a saw but thanks to the info on here I now have my old friend up and running again. It's probably been 6-10 years since I really used it. Guy at saw shop told me last year it was junk and not worth fixing, thank goodness I found you guys! :cheers: I really do love this little saw!

Guy at the shop wanted to sell you a new saw...............

Keep that 028. A bit heavy but built better than todays saws and easy to work on. Some OEM parts are starting to dry up. I brought a bunch of spares a few years ago for mine. Have had it since 1985. Keep your eyes open for a junker parts carcass it will come in handy.

When you have a chance, take off the muffler and inspect the piston. If it looks good run it, if worn you might want to get a spare and a gasket set for future use (new piston and seals). 148 psi is decent but a set of rings should get you another 20 psi.

I've been a bit reluctant to pull a saw apart, just never had done it. It wasn't bad at all. I just rebuilt the cab on My dads old Homelite XL923 and gave it some TLC It runs now as well! What a beast!

So parts are getting scarce, what spares should I pickup? Rings and a piston what else? I'll go pull the muffler and check the piston now. Thanks

I've been a bit reluctant to pull a saw apart, just never had done it. It wasn't bad at all. I just rebuilt the cab on My dads old Homelite XL923 and gave it some TLC It runs now as well! What a beast!

So parts are getting scarce, what spares should I pickup? Rings and a piston what else? I'll go pull the muffler and check the piston now. Thanks

Not scarce yet but some OEM stuff like air filter NLA. Aftermarket stuff still available but sooner or later that will dry up too. If you order a backup piston, check your cylinder first for size. It should be marked A or B on the top, make sure you get the piston that will fit.

I picked up an 064 a while back and also got a box of carcasses: two 024/026 and a 028S. All of the carcasses looked knarly but to my surprise the 028S P/C looked real good and I'd almost consider it for a rebuild, but for now it's a parts backup for my 028S. I too may invest in a piston and gasket set to have on hand. It is nice knowing that I have a complete used parts inventory if I need it

I bet you will get many more years out of your saw if you take care of it.......

Deff a great saw keep running as long as you can I have the same saw and I would deff recommend keeping crank seals around might just because I have to rebuild my top end previous owner wasn't too smart but I managed to blow mine a few timea this season now the saw is put up till the new top end comes in =[

Latest posts

Back