stihl 028 sprocket cover too narrow, clogs when rip cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macs woodshop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My stihl 028 sprocket cover too narrow, clogs when rip cutting. Sawdust comes out like spaghetti, clogs the discharge in no time when saw is cutting rapidly. Cover is magnesium, so I have no idea how to modify. Bailey's has a large cover for the 460 model, but 028 only shows standard issue, same dimension as OEM. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My stihl 028 sprocket cover too narrow, clogs when rip cutting. Sawdust comes out like spaghetti, clogs the discharge in no time when saw is cutting rapidly. Cover is magnesium, so I have no idea how to modify. Bailey's has a large cover for the 460 model, but 028 only shows standard issue, same dimension as OEM. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I think you could find a cover from a larger saw that will fit. I had an 044 with an 026 cover for awhile. Maybe find a shop that has a bunch of Stihl parts and will let you try them on your saw.

Howdy,
Our large cover will fit the 028. We just didn't list the 028 as one of the applications.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the suggestions and good info.

Howdy,
Our large cover will fit the 028. We just didn't list the 028 as one of the applications.
Regards
Gregg

Thanks for the suggestions and good info. I did not even think about other covers fitting the basic hole pattern, etcetera. Will let you know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back