Stihl 028 Super AV clutch removal help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:bang: I need a bit of technical help in removing a clutch from my 028 Super AV. I've got the cylinder off and the piston braced with wood from below to prevent movement.

I'm putting a socket on the hex center of the clutch carrier and torquing clockwise; everything is flexing and I'm afraid of breaking either the piston skirt or the connecting rod.

Can I use an electric impact wrench to break it loose? Is it a clock-wise removal? Any tricks or techniques I can use?

Many thanks

-Woodshave

I use my Snap-on IM31 3/8 impact turned well down. Many will say that the impact will tear things up, but I have never had an issue. I don't use a piston stop.

You can tar and feather me as much as you like, I have likely removed over 2000 flywheels and clutch assemblys with my impact gun, 3/8" air or battery electric, have yet to break or damage anything, I hold the flywheel with my left hand and apply the impact with my right, no damage to the bearings with this method either.

Pioneerguy600

You can tar and feather me as much as you like, I have likely removed over 2000 flywheels and clutch assemblys with my impact gun, 3/8" air or battery electric, have yet to break or damage anything, I hold the flywheel with my left hand and apply the impact with my right, no damage to the bearings with this method either.

Pioneerguy600

Yep, me too. I have not removed any where near that many, but quite a few non the less. I use a 3/8" drive air ratchet and hold the fylwheel in a gloved hand...piece of cake. As Tzed250 said earlier; finesse is the key. There are guys out there that could break a rock....best to use your head.

I have been using a Impact, both 3/8 & 1/2" it's still not breaking loose. I've taken clutches off 290 & 250 before very easily but I'm pretty sure this one ain't coming off. I'm worried because I have parts coming for this and I gotta get that seal replaced. Any more tricks up your sleave? There ain't much of a nut surface there and I'm sure if I get any rougher it's gonna round off for sure.

Back