Stihl 028 Super Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickhamWood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just ran my 028 Super through some wood before I planned to clean it up. It didn’t seem to be oiling as well as it did previously. I checked the oil holes/guides on the bar, they were clear. The guide groove around the bar was clear also. When I took the clutch cover off it was pretty messy underneath. Not sure what is causing this? Final question, is the metal cover over the bar bolts necessary? It was on my saw when I purchased it and I left it installed because this saw has never given me any problems. image.jpg

Set the bar over the studs, make sure that the phillips head screw isn't getting in the way of it meshing up against the plate tightly and flat.
Then, with the bar and chain off, start the saw and watch the oil flow.

Do what Harley said. If it's not oiling, take the metal bar plate off, then the plastic cover. Take a pic of how the gears go together and be wary of googling images as there were a couple different setups if I recall correctly. The pump is driven from the gear, sucks from the tank and pushes out up to the bar. Not much too it. The pump itself can be cleaned with carb cleaner, just remove any rubber so the carb cleaner doesn't damage it. Rubber bits should be replaced if they're hard/cracked/don't seal.

Thank you guys, I will try this tomorrow. This saw was pretty clean before I started running it today. I was surprised to see this much bar oil next to the sprocket when I got the clutch cover off. I typically keep my saws quite clean as I do not use them for work, they are only a hobby. So all this mess was from just running the saw for less than 15 minutes. This is how my saws normally look before I put them away after use. This is a MS290 I ran today and then cleaned up to put away, not the 028 AVS...DSC_0166.JPG

Latest posts

Back