STIHL 028 SUPER- Should I part out or fix???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firediver125

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a STIHL 028 Super at an auction for $35.00, it has a good bar and chain, but the piston is scored. This means I need a new jug and piston, everything else looks good on the saw (the crank and such). I was just wondering if it is worth fixing or if someone on here could use it for parts. I think that if I could find an OEM jug and piston I would likely fix it depending on the cost. Oh yeah the reason I bought the saw in the first place is because I wanted the case that had this saw in it, the saw was just a bonus!!

You could easily make double your money by parting it out. Hell I wouldn't mind having some spare 028S stuff!

I bought a STIHL 028 Super at an auction for $35.00, it has a good bar and chain, but the piston is scored. This means I need a new jug and piston, everything else looks good on the saw (the crank and such). I was just wondering if it is worth fixing or if someone on here could use it for parts. I think that if I could find an OEM jug and piston I would likely fix it depending on the cost. Oh yeah the reason I bought the saw in the first place is because I wanted the case that had this saw in it, the saw was just a bonus!!
Ihave an 028WB that needs a few parts ,muffer I know.Is this the same saw? if so pm me and we may get together.:blob2:
It's not an 029 super is it I have 2 of them.

Last edited:
I found a place where you can get a high quality Tecomec P/C for 150 bucks. Thats a good deal. I cant say it here as they are not a site sponsor.

Are you sure you can't salvage the jug ? Pistons are cheap. You don't have to get it absolutley perfect, especially below the ports, and can still get a lot of use out of the saw.

Yep, if the jug is salvageable you can toss a Meteor piston kit in it and be good as new. If you dont use the jug, I'll buy it.

Latest posts

Back