Stihl 028 Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sawbuck

Sawbuck

ArboristSite Lurker
I just bought a used Stihl 028 Super and have a couple of questions that maybe you Stihl users will answer for me. I don't have the manual and would like to know the correct spark plug to use. It has an Autolite 2984 in there now. It has great compression but I can't get it to run. Doesn't seem to be getting spark. Seller says the saw starts and runs great. I'm using a 50:1 Stihl mix. Also, does anyone know how much a clutch side cover costs? Thanks, John

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would check under the cover and see if maybe a coil wire or ground wire is busted. No matter what plug is in there you should get SOME spark. If not maybe you can try a different coil before you buy one.

Toneman

Toneman

Makin Chips
I use the NGK BPMR 7A in my 028 Super, never any problems.
As far as mix ratio goes, 50:1 was specified when saw was new. Since this an older model, I would recommend a 40:1 or 32:1 for a little extra added protection.
Good Luck

Sawbuck

Sawbuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for your replies. People always ready to help on this forum. I got it to fire with new plug gapped .020, but it won't run. So now it looks like I'll have to chase down the fuel system.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
It sounds like you have weak spark. Was the parks bright blue or orange. This sounds like a bad coil

Try putting gas in the carb and see if it starts. If it does its fuel. If not its spark

Sawbuck

Sawbuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Fuel tank vent

Man I feel like a PITA so thanks for putting up with me. I'm just not familiar with Stihl's way of doing things yet. Fuel filter is perfect (looks new). I found that the fuel filler cap is not vented. There is a vent tube under the rear cover that comes from the top of the fuel tank. However this vent tube is plugged with two tiny brass threaded plugs. With those plugs in the line I cannot blow or suck trough this vent tube. IS this normal?

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
I dont know about the plugs. Try removing them and see what happens

HOWEVER the saw should still run for a few seconds even if the vent is plugged, so you still have a problem

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
The plugs are supposed to be there, otherwise you will dump gas all over yourself and the saw. Be sure to put them back after you remove and clean them.

Sawbuck

Sawbuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Sucess!!

Thanks to all the ideas and help I finally got this 028 running. And it runs real good now. It turned out to be a combination of problems as the result of prior owners poor maintenance. Low speed circuit was dirty, but the main problem was with the coil. I checked the coil prior to possibly replacing it and found it was totally impacted with greasy dirt and crap. The gap had closed up and I stopped checking when I couldn't insert a .008 feeler guage. I removed the coil cleaned it real good and set the coil gap at .012. (That was a guess is that close to correct?). Anyway, put it back together and it fired right up and runs great.

hoosierman

hoosierman

not Autolite, that is FORD oem, call a dealer.they will tell u right one

I just bought a used Stihl 028 Super and have a couple of questions that maybe you Stihl users will answer for me. I don't have the manual and would like to know the correct spark plug to use. It has an Autolite 2984 in there now. It has great compression but I can't get it to run. Doesn't seem to be getting spark. Seller says the saw starts and runs great. I'm using a 50:1 Stihl mix. Also, does anyone know how much a clutch side cover costs? Thanks, John

call a Sthil dealer

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks to all the ideas and help I finally got this 028 running. And it runs real good now. It turned out to be a combination of problems as the result of prior owners poor maintenance. Low speed circuit was dirty, but the main problem was with the coil. I checked the coil prior to possibly replacing it and found it was totally impacted with greasy dirt and crap. The gap had closed up and I stopped checking when I couldn't insert a .008 feeler guage. I removed the coil cleaned it real good and set the coil gap at .012. (That was a guess is that close to correct?). Anyway, put it back together and it fired right up and runs great.

Excellent! You took the Stihl by the "horns" and got-er-done! Congrats!
Happy Sawing!

Latest posts