Stihl 028 Wood Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowhog

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I stopped in at my local Stihl dealer today for a new bar and chain for my 011 av and I seen this sitting on the shelve. A old fellow like me traded it in for a new easy start. He purchased the saw new in 1985 its a one owner. It came with two spare chains the original owners, safety manuals and sales slip. 150.00 out the door with a new bar cover. The saw is in fine shape. The price was 332 plus tax when it was purchased new.DSCN3361.JPG DSCN3362.JPG DSCN3363.JPG DSCN3364.JPG DSCN3365.JPG DSCN3366.JPG

Wow!!!
Great shape for a 30 year saw :clap:

Awesome buy, I used one of these for ages as my go to limbing saw and for small firewood, never missed a beat once and I abused the hell out of it! Nice score

Thanks folks! 332 dollars in todays money would be 745.00 They weren't cheap back then.

Yes, most of these 028 Super saws are about 30 years old. They keep going and going. I finally ran into a saw that will stay even with them (or more) and yet weighs a bit less -- a Husky 353 -- for the same price. But I still love the reliability and grunt of the 028 Super. I will never understand why Stihl discontinued making them. Most dealers around here do not wish to discuss that move.

I got this from a friend's dad, a while back. He was told it needed a coil, by a local stihl shop. I bought a non-points replacement coil for it, but haven't had the chance to mess with it, yet. Don't know how much I'll use it, anyway, as I've got a few other saws in that size range, that actually have chain brakes...

IMG_20160824_202429415.jpg IMG_20160824_202250285.jpg IMG_20160824_202159340.jpg IMG_20160824_202150705.jpg IMG_20160824_202138623.jpg

I sup
I got this from a friend's dad, a while back. He was told it needed a coil, by a local stihl shop. I bought a non-points replacement coil for it, but haven't had the chance to mess with it, yet. Don't know how much I'll use it, anyway, as I've got a few other saws in that size range, that actually have chain brakes...

View attachment 527915 View attachment 527916 View attachment 527917 View attachment 527918 View attachment 527919
Three years ago I sold one of these to a park manager for $180. He stored it in an unlocked shed. Within three months, it was stolen. The thief was never found. Looks like I underpriced it. The park manager never realized what a prize that he had on board.

Can anyone tell me how to get one of these saws to stop leaking tons of oil. I'm trying to help my friend with his that his deceased father bought new. I was able to get it running, but I have NO IDEA about the leaking oil. And it's not just a minor leak. It leaves Puddles everywhere it sits!

It was not well taken care of, as the adjuster is worn down to a nub that won't even adjust the tension on the chain. I have a new one coming, and I've been doing some serious cleaning on it.

Anyway, ANYTHING anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Cliff

Can anyone tell me how to get one of these saws to stop leaking tons of oil. I'm trying to help my friend with his that his deceased father bought new. I was able to get it running, but I have NO IDEA about the leaking oil. And it's not just a minor leak. It leaves Puddles everywhere it sits!

It was not well taken care of, as the adjuster is worn down to a nub that won't even adjust the tension on the chain. I have a new one coming, and I've been doing some serious cleaning on it.

Anyway, ANYTHING anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Cliff

My 028 had the same issue that you are describing. I pulled the oil pump and replaced the gasket and it hasn't leaked since.

You said the saw has had a hard life. I'd check the above mentioned gasket for sure. If anything in the area looks like it might have heat fatigue, I'd do a pressure/vac test to make sure the seals are still good, as well as feeling the crank bearings to make sure they're still smooth.

That said, if it just looks like the gasket is old & everything else looks & feels fine, run the snot out of it. I love 028's.

Latest posts

Back