Stihl 028AV tunning honing from 44mm to 46mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reqqin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI, firts of all, sorry for my writing as I'm from Poland and still learning english.
My dad has got Stihl 028AV and has been running for over 15 years old,
but it seemed to have less power every year, piston and cylinder is 44mm.

I was wondering can i hone cylinder to 46mm and set up 46mm piston like it is in 028 Super?
For motobiker cylinders it is very popular to hone maximum three times.R1,R2 AND R3 maximum, about 1mm each time or even more from R1 straight to R3.

It is very cheap, but can i remove nearly 2mm from diameter(propably very used cylinder so less than 2mm)?
I heard that chaisaw's cylinders has got very specific surface and can't be honned.
Have any one of members ever try to do it?

Welcome to AS and your english is good. You cant hone it out like a motobike,the cylinder wall is chrome plated. You should be able to get new rings lightly hone cylinder t put crosshatch on wall and that should restore compression.:)

For all practicle purpose you can not bore a cylinder out 2mm over. Cylinders are plated as mentioned above and would require to be replated and rehoned to dimention. Problem is the vast majority of shops do not have the capacity to hone closed top cylinder. Anyway for a work saw the cost is prohibative equal to or more than a new cylinder and piston.

For racing the cylinder to can be cut off and a separate head made, in this case I have had cylinders bored out and replated. But it's not a low cost option.

Back