Stihl MS261-CM 2020 4 months old scored piston???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure where things are going in the chainsaw industry but parts are where it pays to get big-brand. I have a 1960s John Deere tractor and I can still get 90% of the parts for it brand new from JD, I just hope Stihl keeps up with it down the road.

Maybe a fuel problem even. Those are two oils that I have never seen any carbon buildup in a saw
K2 is extremely clean.
If you run 800 hot it will build ash on the piston as it has a fairly high mettalic content. If your rich/cool it will blowout the exhaust un combusted and the piston often will be bare metal.

Both of those oils are clean burning. If you have lots of carbon you have a tuning issue.
I really think it's an excessive lubrication issue with these 50cc saws.I'm cutting a lot of oak and hickory firewood running at 14,500 rpms. The mufflers are slobbering a bit but the saws are running like a banshee without excessive heat. I probably could cut cut back to 40 to 1
on the mix or lean up a bit and be okay.

I really think it's an excessive lubrication issue with these 50cc saws.I'm cutting a lot of oak and hickory firewood running at 14,500 rpms. The mufflers are slobbering a bit but the saws are running like a banshee without excessive heat. I probably could cut cut back to 40 to 1
I've ran plenty of 50cc saws at 32:1 with the above oils and they always burned clean.

It is excessive oil, but it’s excessive fuel as well. If it’s coming out the muffler it can stand to be leaned out a little bit

Back