Stihl 029 super plastic crack repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigealta

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi , I've searched but not found any clear answers. I dropped my 029 and cracked the corner of the foot plate under the handle. What's the best way to glue, jb weld, plastic weld, fiber reinforce, etc to make a nice clean repair? I've never been any good at glueing plastic. My thought is to fill the empty cavities under the crack with jb weld or the like. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• stihl IMG_6261.jpg
    stihl IMG_6261.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1
  • stihl IMG_6258.jpg
    stihl IMG_6258.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
i could do a plastic stitch weld with my soldering iron on the underside, before filling in the cavity with a jb weld or similar. Would that make sense or a waste of time? Thanks

It doesn't look like the crack will hurt it much. Let us see a better shot from the top down.
No but it will Hook /Snag my pants, i could break it off and file it smooth, but would rather glue it together if it's pretty much the same difference.

I'll post another pic tomorrow Thanks.

Hi , I've searched but not found any clear answers. I dropped my 029 and cracked the corner of the foot plate under the handle. What's the best way to glue, jb weld, plastic weld, fiber reinforce, etc to make a nice clean repair? I've never been any good at glueing plastic. My thought is to fill the empty cavities under the crack with jb weld or the like. Thanks for your help.
I have had the same issue, 3 times. I repair alot of saws. If the piece is lose, and flopping on the decal, thats easy. Is the piece ready to come off all-together? Thats the best repair.

I’ve done plastic repair with a hot wire gun from Amazon and JB weld to reinforce.

I found, and use a clear 2-part military-grade epoxy that hardens like glass., and bonds like a magnet to an icebox.... Its available. No melting plastic smoke. No build-up goober repair. Looks like a crack that has been properly repaired. Also, I have sanded these repairs, and re-painted the entire fixture. For Stihl, TSC is the #1 spot for color match. Good Luck!

I found, and use a clear 2-part military-grade epoxy that hardens like glass., and bonds like a magnet to an icebox.... Its available. No melting plastic smoke. No build-up goober repair. Looks like a crack that has been properly repaired. Also, I have sanded these repairs, and re-painted the entire fixture. For Stihl, TSC is the #1 spot for color match. Good Luck!
What’s the name and where can I get it ?

I have had the same issue, 3 times. I repair alot of saws. If the piece is lose, and flopping on the decal, thats easy. Is the piece ready to come off all-together? Thats the best repair.
Yes it’s not quite completely lose but almost. And yes the sticker is what’s holding it together for the most part.

Yes me too, What’s the name? Thanks

Systemthree's T-88. NASA knows better than I do.

I repaired a break on a 200T, for a buddy. Had the saw for the weekend.
The saw went back to work Monday, and by Wednesday, it dribbled off the lanyard, and kissed a couple of croctches on the way to the lawn. The handle broke again, 1/2" away from the plastic epoxy weld.....that was painted and showed no cracking....fixed it again. No-one can tell the chainsaw has ever fallen.

On plastic gas tanks.... I use ABS Solvent Adhesive.....
Solvent bonds the plastic, push into the crack and keep a little bump of adhesive about the crack.
Let it dry, will also shrink as the solvent evaporates...
I believe the chainsaw plastic to ABS plastic and should work.

lots of plastic has a slippery film and epoxy will not stick.... we all have had the failures.
the oil and gas exposure is another issue to make it a hard to master application.

Yrs ago was at a adhesive presentation.... and the 3M Engineer said something what was enlightening and technical.
When applying adhesive?
Look at the base material and get the surface tension of the plastic chainsaw case in this application
Pick a adhesive with a lower surface tension that the material to glue.
LOWER Surface tension, will allow the adhesive to spread and get into the pores of the base material.
There are other considerations... but that is the starting point
Next or more considerations is flex, exposure to gas & oil, and temp extremes or cycling,

I have had great success with this for plastic repair... even on gas tanks
Clean all surfaces and can roughen to help with adhesion

On 1-10 this is a 12...... first time I have shared this trick.

Latest posts

Back