Stihl 031 carb adjust help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdhome2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stihl 031, been trying to get the carb adjusted but i cant get the rpms low enough to stop the chain from spinning without killing the motor. it starts fine and high speed adjusts to 12k no problem. Been trying to balance the low speed and idle screws but I can't get it right. Or, could there be another reason why this isn't working for me? Thanks

rpms at idle? My guess w/o further info is weak clutch springs.

Idle rpm's 16 to 2k. Intresting you would suggest clutch springs. I've been hearing a "pinging" rattle that i've suspected to be the clutch.

A worn clutch bearing will let the clutch bell rattle against the clutch shoes at idle. That will make the chain move at idle, and will make the sound you describe...

If the saw's running weird at idle and won't hold a tune, then I'd also suggest you take a good look at the carb boot. They have a habit of deteriating and developing cracks/leaks...:popcorn:

So how do i check the clutch bearing? Wiggle the shaft and watch for free play?

So how do i check the clutch bearing? Wiggle the shaft and watch for free play?

With the saw not running (sorry, gotta say it) remove the bar/chain and clutch cover. Grab the clutch bell and try to wobble it. It should spin freely, and not wobble much at all...

All right, I'll check the bearing tomorrow. What your saying makes sense though. Now if I can get the rpms below 2k and the chain still spins would that lead towards a bad clutch bearing as well? As Pioneerguy said, weak clutch springs wouln't engage the clutch untill above 2500 rpms.

All right, I'll check the bearing tomorrow. What your saying makes sense though. Now if I can get the rpms below 2k and the chain still spins would that lead towards a bad clutch bearing as well? As Pioneerguy said, weak clutch springs wouln't engage the clutch untill above 2500 rpms.

Now I'm assuming something here (danger) but I'd wager that Pioneerguy meant to say, "Above 2,500 RPM. Less with weak springs." That would make more sense. Relly weak or dead springs could let the shoes engage the bell at 1000 RPM or less...:popcorn:

I could easily be wrong about my assumption (and if so, then I'm sorry Pioneerguy).:(

I'm going out onto that limb too............he did not mean that weak springs will only engage above 2.5K. I've seen weak springs engage almost imediately on start up.

Took another crack at adjusting that saw today. Was looking around at the clutch bell housing to see if there was any indication of it rubbing anywhere. I found some suspicious rub marks on the inside of the housing and also on the inside of the main cover.

Was able to get an IPL and discovered that at some point an extra washer had been placed between the bell housing and the clutch. After removing this washer the bell housing turned nice and freely and I was able to get the carb adjusted without any problems.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped, rep sent. :clap:

Took another crack at adjusting that saw today. Was looking around at the clutch bell housing to see if there was any indication of it rubbing anywhere. I found some suspicious rub marks on the inside of the housing and also on the inside of the main cover.

Was able to get an IPL and discovered that at some point an extra washer had been placed between the bell housing and the clutch. After removing this washer the bell housing turned nice and freely and I was able to get the carb adjusted without any problems.

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped, rep sent. :clap:

I love a happy ending :)

Back