Stihl 036 for $70

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meeting the guy in a couple hours, he says its a real hassle to get started, says it takes em about 30 mins to start, I don't really see how thats possible heh. Might just offer em 50 bucks if it looks like it needs a carb or piston/cylinder. I've got a compression tester, should I do that? What else should I look for? Pull the muffler? Thanks, James

Incomplete part saws go for his asking price on ebay. If I was you Id try and knock him down alittle on the price but I would take it at his asking price if he doesnt budge nomatter whats wrong with it.

Incomplete part saws go for his asking price on ebay. If I was you Id try and knock him down alittle on the price but I would take it at his asking price if he doesnt budge nomatter whats wrong with it.

For $70, I wouldn't get too picky.

Go for it B/C almost worth that!!!

:agree2: I wouldnt even pull the muffler for 70 bucks. Do a compression test and go from there. 50 would be better of course, but 70 isnt bad at all. JMO :)

Hahah east knox home depot, not too familiar with that area, hopefully won't get mugged, carry permit should help with that. Not really familiar with the 036's. Was there every a 360 or did it go to 361? Also, what major parts are not compatible between those two? Thanks, James

Also, if compression is decent and piston/muffler look ok, what would you suspect reason for hard starting? I would guess something with the carb or how its adjusted, who knows how old the saw is, but it definitely looks better than some of the pics I saw on ebay.

Hahah east knox home depot, not too familiar with that area, hopefully won't get mugged, carry permit should help with that. Not really familiar with the 036's. Was there every a 360 or did it go to 361? Also, what major parts are not compatible between those two? Thanks, James

Yea there was a 360 and most parts between them are compatible.

To answer your other ?? It could be as simple as a plug or incorrectly adjusted carb.

My money is on an incorrectly adjusted carb...it seems odd that it will start with lots of effort, but is still does eventually start...could also be operator error. LOL

lol At least its right off 640. Yes there was a 360 and 360 pro I think. Ive never had one, but I do think that alot of parts will swap out. If the compression is good, Its probably a carb problem. But he said it ran ok after it was started.....so I dunno. For what hes asking I wouldnt be scared of it.

Yeah, I am going to see how he tries to start it... I will probably throw a new air filter, fuel filter, carb kit, spark plug on it. If compression is low may try a meteor piston kit as those are only 40 bucks. I will look at bar and chain and rim. Have any other suggestions on what you would do to it? Thanks, James

Also, were the 036's mufflers choked up at all like new saws are? I dunno if muffler mod will do any good for it?

Okay guys, update. It was pouring rain. couldn't get it to start, bar and chain in good shape and it was turning over, offered him 50 and he said someone offered him 55. I didn't feel like messing with it too much in the rain. I told him I'd give em 60 since he drove most of the way to meet me. I get home, compression hits 160 no problem, piston looks flawless to me. He said the problem may be a little nick in the spark plug wire. There is a tiny bit of the wire exposed but the wire is not cut itself. I don't feel like this could be the problem. Will my spark plug work out of my 460? I feel like first thing to do is see if I can get spark and then work on the carb. Carb says made in hong kong, is that a zama? Also, is this a pro version? No decomp, but has an adjustable oiler, not sure how to tell. Thanks, James

Back