Stihl 036 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redunshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
image.jpg When pulling recoil the chain turns. Looking at the brake spring,it looks stretched out. That and I'm not sure the cover washer is on correctly. Only other thing might be a bad brake band. I know I can barely install the sprocket as it currently sits.

image.jpg
The brake system needs an overhaul but that's not your problem. Most likely would be worn clutch springs. What's the history on the saw?
Just picked it up. W/O the bar it starts and idles fine, though the clutch cover was on so I don't know if the sprocket was turning. One clutch spring was missing and I thought that might be the cause. Picked up an aftermarket spring.

Obviously someone has been there before you. The brake spring does look janky but I don't think that would necessarily effect operation. I think the cover washer looks ok. I'd be thinking more a bad clutch (springs) issue.

.. Gary beat me to it.

Is your clutch drum clean? There can be a surprising amount of "cake" built up in there. That might make the chain turn while pulling the recoil, but shouldn't turn the chain while the saw is running.

I can't see for sure but it looks like there may be grooves worn into the clutch in the holes where the springs ride. If there are grooves worn into the holes where the end of the springs ride, that's not good.
Decreased spring pressure=increased low speed clutch engagement. Mike

Did you take the c clip off the stud that holds the chainbrake assembly, or is it missing.?
Wouldn't cause your problem, but I wanted to make sure you had it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Check the crank where the bearing rides. Could be worn and the clutch drum is wobbling.

Back