Stihl 036/MS360 ignition.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoopermanLuva

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, gentlemen!
Last week I just finished fixing a 036. Plenty of new parts including a spark plug straight from the Stihl dealer. Went to test the saw and it starts up fine, but after a minute or so, the idle is all over the place until the engine shuts off completely, like someone flicked the switch. Still had the old igniton coil in there, so I thought, that would be the problem. Popped a new one in yesterday and... no workee. When you ground the plug to the cylinder, it does spark. Almost everything else is brand new, so I was confused. Had an old plug from a friend's MS180 laying around, which didn't work well in his saw, but I thought I'd pop it in, see what happens and she fired right up.
Apparently, the spark the dealer sold me was no good for the saw, but it actually at least fired up with the old coil. Now here's the question: could the spark plug be at fault for the saw cutting out when getting hot and not the coil? Does it make sense to investigate that or would you say the coil will probably be done in the near future anyway and I should keep the new one in there if it's working?
I won't be in the shop to test it further and I'd love to hear some opinions.

Update: Got a new Bosch spark plug, put the old coil in, adjusted gap and she's running fine. So even new stuff can be no good and can get you really confused after a rebuild.

Hey there friend,

I have had sparky problems but I purchased a lot of German Bosch plugs ( WSR 6 .. ?). No ignition at plug since. Those are NOS, german
This is what I got myself, the Bosch WSR 6F. She's running well on that one.
Turns out the dealer sold me the wrong plug. The problem with those at Stihl is that they don't put any info on the plug onto the box. It's more or less plain with Stihl branding on it. The Plug itself carries all the info, but I figured they'd give me the right plug for the saw I told them it was for and haven't checked. Never crossed my mind. The fact that it took me a while to notice and the saw fired with a electrode gap twice as big as specified definitely speaks for the ignition coil. This thing still performs after 20 years. Made in the US, by the way.

I had an 041 Stihl I was tuning up today, tried 3 different sparkplugs and got 3 different amounts of spark. Believe it or not the old sparkplug appeared to outperform the new ones.
I put a new Bosch plug in it and had no problem getting the saw to run and adjust the carb to factory specs. Idle RPM is now stable and right on the money. They sold me the wrong plug initially. I think I will experiment with different brands of plugs. I wonder if there would be a noticeable difference if I went with just a slightly smaller gap.

Back